#1 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

Need to get a bottle for a gift.

Does anything on this list look interesting?

thank you.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#2 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

Helena,
I am not familar with any of those brands.

Look for sake that is junmai daigingo- which means that the rice has been milled so that no more than 50% of the original size of the grains remains, although this often goes to 35%- good stuff

Always kept refrigerated- do not buy if it is out on a shelf in a retail store.

#3 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:19 PM

scamhi-

What do you think of CA sake? I know freshness is a factor with sake and CA is a lot closer than Japan.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#4 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

scamhi-

What do you think of CA sake? I know freshness is a factor with sake and CA is a lot closer than Japan.

I don't know about specific CA producers.

#5 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:47 PM

Helena, from your list, Ginga Shizuku Sake has a very high rating. (I guess you get what you pay for.)

Horin Sake less so. Tentaka less yet (2.86).

The others were not rated.

You can also check RateBeer.com for the word "DAIGINJO," and you will get 46 results.

#6 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

Tana, that's cool - thank you: i check ratebeer almost every day but i was completely oblivious to the fact of the sake rating!
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#7 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

freshness is key but that's why you want your sake to be refrigerated - always. Importers who really care transport (usually fly) sake in refrigerated containers and will not sell to stores that do not refrigerate their sake properly. It doesn't make a huge difference flying something from CA vs. Japan - but it does make a huge difference in how it's stored/transported.

CA sake? From what I have tasted - I work on the Joy of Sake events in NYC, where you taste 150-210 sakes, some of which are not available in the US - and a small percentage of the tasted sakes is US made - CA & OR, i think. Nothing particularly exciting, I'm afraid. The rice, of course, matters and so does the water - but it's also the yeasts that are different between breweries and make a huge difference (I'm oversimplifying here, of course).

You'll find a good sake selection (and stored/displayed properly) at Ambassador Wines in NY. Union Square Wines is not bad and now even Astor Place invested in a sake refrigerator.

I usually check for importers - I like World Sake Imports & Joto Sake - I know both of these through the Joy of Sake and restaurants they sell to -Tocqueville, wd-50, Matsuri, Bao 111, Bouley, etc. World Sake's site actually has a guide for both retailers & restaurants across the country. Joto represents fewer breweries (it's a new company) but also great quality and unique products.

and there is nothing wrong with junmai gingo :wub:
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#8 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

150-200 sakes sounds mind boggling.

While googling, I found that some of the (lower end) Japanese brands now produce in the US.

Sake good.... as long as it's not hot.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:30 PM

I went to that Joy of Sake tasting. I had a good time but my mind was definitely boggled by the end of it.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#10 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:49 AM

One of my favorites is Rihaku Dreamy Cloud, which I tried at 66. Nux, do you know whether it's available at retail here?
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#11 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:51 AM

I went to that Joy of Sake tasting. I had a good time but my mind was definitely boggled by the end of it.

should have tried the one in honolulu - warm and humid (partly outdoor) - tried all the 151 sakes poured (some twice!) and survived quite nicely, BUT i did have a plan: eat first and sip water between every sake. went out for poke and more sake afterwards, heehee

#12 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:00 AM

Poke. Sigh.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#13 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:47 AM

One of my favorites is Rihaku Dreamy Cloud, which I tried at 66.  Nux, do you know whether it's available at retail here?

looks like CA mostly but here Landmark Wines lists it - not clear they have at in stock though. for a nigori (unfiltered/cloudy/milky/'dirty') sake, I like Kamoizumi Nigori Ginjo or Dewazakura's Dewasansan Namagenshu. By the way, Kamoizumi makes another wonderful sake called Kome Kome - it's delicious and very low in alcohol...dangerous! (both are World Sake Imports.) i also recently discovered a fabulous unusual sake - i think it's this one - Kasumi Tsuru - but i'm only relying on my (visual) memory. had it at wd-50, thank you Dewey!

#14 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:55 PM

Over the weekend I had a Nama sake, which is an unpasturized sake. They are supposed to be very fresh tasting, and it was. It tasted/smelled like very fresh fish out of the ocean. Not particularly fishy nor briny, just sort of the fresh tang of sea water, or raw fish just after it's been cut up. Really interesting. It went very well with the sashimi I ate it with. Some of the bottle was left over and although I read somewhere that this type of sake should be consumed within 3 hours of opening, I tried it again last night. The website was right- it had lost that wonderful fresh quality and the alchohol taste was more pronounced.

I don't have the name of the sake with me- I'll post it later.

#15 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

please do! never enough good sake.

by the way, Cathy, i had the rihaku at Morimoto - the server didn't even roll it before pouring (to get the clouds into the sake) and looked at me with really big eyes when i told her. she said it was not part of their training ;)

yikes! then again, Monster Sushi servers shake every bottle of sake they bring to the table extremely vigorously, regardless of the kind ;)