Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:39 PM

It's "restaurateur".

Sometimes that's especially true.

12294272063_927b8afb96_o.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#617 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,585 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

I thought it was very telling to receive a rank piece of fish, something that never happened to me at La Pineda, Maximin, Uliasse, Elkano, and so many other truly great seafood restaurants. 

That totally sucks.  

Did you bring this to the attention of your waiter or anyone else in charge?  If so, what'd they say?  If not, why?

#618 Robert Brown

Robert Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

As I explained at the outset, I was eating with a friend who reveres chefs. In fact, his son is a restaurant chef, about to be a restaurant owner as well. My companion is also a judge in various competitions and he likes to talk with chefs. He doesn't like to rock the boat during meals, although we have post-mortems together. In other circumstances I can be quite militant. At times, however, less-experienced dining companions can become uneasy and can think I am being picky, if not obnoxious. If I gave a shit about Le Bernardin, I would have sent them an e-mail. I never go there on my own volition, but if a friend or out-of-towner wants to go there, I bite the bullet. 

I have a theory about this restaurant and why it gets the marks and comments it does. I'll deal with this later, perhaps.

#619 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

For accuracy's sake, I should point out ...

For accuracy's sake, it's La Pineta and Uliassi. And Uliassi is in Senigallia with two Ls not one L as is Madonnina del Pescatore* which isn't very good at all. And as much as I like La Pineta, Bobby, it is a very different sort of beast than Le B and the two shouldn't be compared at all. I mean La Pineta is effectively a semi-dilapidated shack on an isolated beach found at the end of dead-end road. And they don't have anywhere near the broad selection of whole fish that you seem to be imagining. But I repeat, I really like the place. And yes I have been to these places relatively recently ie last year. And although I've "been" to Uliassi and looked into their empty room, I didn't eat there because it was closed and on vacation. Bastards ! Hence, my Madonnina massacre. And among all these Italian places, I'd much prefer to eat at Dal Pescatore which one might think is a fish place but it absolutely is not. That was a surprise. In fact, when I was there, the only dishes from the sea were eel and lobster, unless you consider frog's legs from the sea. And for a bunch of Italians, their lepre alla royal was okay.

* And in that linked post, Bobby, you spelled Jean-Luc's last name two different ways ... both wrong. That ain't easy to do. And Le B didn't quite make the cut again. Re Per Se, nicely done ! So what's that ? About 1 for 10, plus or minus. Bobby, you know i love you, but for the sake of the nation, I sure hope you don't apply for that FBI job to be the only guy that types in those passcodes to unlock terrorist iPhones ...

#620 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:26 PM

You ate the bad fish?

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#621 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,585 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

You ate the bad fish?

Took one for the team, as it were.

#622 Robert Brown

Robert Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

Lex, the piece was only big enough for two bites: One to detect that it was bad, and the next to confirm it really was so. 

Chambo, Le Bernardin is a short. They should pay you for going there. I need a spellchecker like you have that's programmed for eating. I can't remember which Jean-Luc I mentioned. It certainly wasn't Godard or Ponty. You're right--La Pineta is where they hold the Antibes-Juan-les-Pins Jazz Festival. I though Madonnia sucked also. One of the worst dinners of recent memory except for Can Roca. Le Bernardin would merit its hyper-inflated ratings if it were like La Pineta. I recall quite a bit of whole fish, but I think you had to ask.

#623 Robert Brown

Robert Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

For accuracy's sake, it's La Pineta and Uliassi. And Uliassi is in Senigallia with two Ls not one L as is Madonnina del Pescatore* which isn't very good at all. And as much as I like La Pineta, Bobby, it is a very different sort of beast than Le B and the two shouldn't be compared at all. I mean La Pineta is effectively a semi-dilapidated shack on an isolated beach found at the end of dead-end road. And they don't have anywhere near the broad selection of whole fish that you seem to be imagining. But I repeat, I really like the place. And yes I have been to these places relatively recently ie last year. And although I've "been" to Uliassi and looked into their empty room, I didn't eat there because it was closed and on vacation. Bastards ! Hence, my Madonnina massacre. And among all these Italian places, I'd much prefer to eat at Dal Pescatore which one might think is a fish place but it absolutely is not. That was a surprise. In fact, when I was there, the only dishes from the sea were eel and lobster, unless you consider frog's legs from the sea. And for a bunch of Italians, their lepre alla royal was okay.

Chambo:

Line 1: Quotation marks around "L"followed by a comma; comma after "Pescatore".

Line 2: Comma after "Le B"

Line 4: semi-colon after "recently" and period between "i" and "e".

Line 5: "Hence my....." is an incomplete sentence, but I'll grant you a stylistic free pass on that one; comma after "Pescatpre".

Line 6: Comma after"fish place".

Generally you have too many sentences beginning with "And."

Dal Pescatore's name is mostly likely derived from its being on a river.

And I love you, too.

#624 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:57 PM

Good try moving the goalposts, Bobby !

But do you think ANYONE here is gonna fall for your punctuation and grammar garbage when we were in the midst of a Spelling B at Le B and you messed up Le B like over a dozen times, not to mention virtually even other resto name all over the place 'cept Per Se ! (How did you like "like over" over there ? Huh ?)

You started this, Robert the Restaurer, and it ain't my fault that you brought a pea-shooter to a gun fight when you should have known that Chambo always packs a powerful bazooka in his pocket.

#625 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

We all thought you were just glad to see us.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#626 Robert Brown

Robert Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:12 PM

Chumpo, I had to straighten you out about Dal Pescatore. The conceptual trumps grammar and minor spelling mistakes. I love you regardless. 

#627 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

ADMIN POST

OK, the guidelines prohibit ad hominem attacks.  It's frankly hard to know where normal argumentation stops and the prohibited kind starts -- but this seems to have gone over the line.

Chambo, it would help if you wrote more like you were addressing positions people have taken rather than confronting the people themselves.  You can see how Robert then responded in kind.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#628 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

It got you kinda excited, didn't it ?

eta : but I'll bring this all back on point if you give me a bit ...

eta v2 : Bobby, please ...

Chumpo, I had to straighten you out about Dal Pescatore ... ... ... Dal Pescatore's name is mostly likely derived from its being on a river.

That was a decent guess ... but not really right.

It's called Dal Pescatore because it used to be a fishing village. If I'm wrong about this then the owner is wrong about this.

#629 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

Oh yeah, like I had bazooka in my pocket.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#630 Robert Brown

Robert Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:40 PM

Yes, but you missed the conniption between the mirth of fish and the name. We no liked our meal there. We thought it was too fuzzy, Champo.