17 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

I don't get it. Bittman takes good recipes and dumbs them down? Every week, I look at his recipes and decide that I don't like them. Maybe I just don't get the purpose of this column.

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:33 PM

I don't think you're his target audience...

edit: I just looked at today's column...what's the matter with it? Good recipes for weeknights, nothing complicated...I appreciate that.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:37 PM

edit: I just looked at today's column...what's the matter with it? Good recipes for weeknights, nothing complicated...I appreciate that.

I am beginning to wonder if I am anyone's target audience. ;)

#4 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

Perfectly consistent with dumbed-down review choices. PJ Clarke's???
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#5 bigbear

bigbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

Maybe being just a target is enough.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#6 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

I sort of like not being in Cheney's sight at least. ;)
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#7 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

I don't get it. Bittman takes good recipes and dumbs them down? Every week, I look at his recipes and decide that I don't like them. Maybe I just don't get the purpose of this column.

I like his show, Bittman Takes On, where a real chef cooks something and then he makes a simplified version. Though you might look at it as dumbing down the show implicitly addresses an interesting question: is more complex always better*? The answer almost always appears to be yes**, but often it's closer than you might think.

*StSiC.

**Without, of course, being able to taste the food.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

I have been reading Copeland Marks' Mayan/Guatemalan book...recipes are so very simple, but I have cooked lots from his other books (also simple) with very good results.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#9 FaustianBargain

FaustianBargain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:23 AM

edit:  I just looked at today's column...what's the matter with it?  Good recipes for weeknights, nothing complicated...I appreciate that.

cheer up. you could be someone's target.
i am not a cancer, i am a sagittarius.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

#10 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

I ahve his book The Minimalist Cooks at Home and I've tried a few things from it. I think it's very good for a beginner like me; it's simple and it allows you to get to understand the primary ingredients better than the ingredients which obscure them. I suspect that after half a dozen recipes from his book, I'll never use it again, but I will have learned some fundamentals in the process.

#11 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:39 PM

I gave one of the young scamhis his How To Cook Everything when she went away to school...and I have gotten good feedback...

#12 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:46 PM

I gave one of the young scamhis his How To Cook Everything when she went away to school...and I have gotten good feedback...

I gave that book to my stepmom. She needed it . . . bad.

#13 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:21 PM

hey, you're a moving target...Cincinatti look out!!!

#14 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:29 PM

I like his TV show. You'll understand his concept better if you watch it.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,555 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

In which Bittman comes over all Kingsley Amis, and reveals himself as a hopeless, weeping drunk.  "I did swear that my most recent hangover would be my last, and given that that was more than six weeks ago, I’d say I’m doing pretty well."

Kingsley_Amis.jpg