274 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:17 AM

If a more succulent and delicious mouthful of porkiness exists that the still-hot "roasted bacon" I bought today at the Nassau Meat Market (aka heaven on earth) in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, I don't need to know about it.

(For those of you who don't know, Greenpoint is a Polish neighborhood...full of wondrous food delights)
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:26 PM

Better than S&W's d/s? Holy shmokey.

Billyburg north of 6th, and all of Greenpoint, are amazing for their bacon. Walk into any random butcher, walk out with what is guaranteed to very, very good bacon.

I don't know if we've had Nassau's. It is now officially on my list. Any chance they're open Sunday?

Last night BBQmonster proposed a bacon tasting, like the rib tasting. Logistically, I can't figure out how to make it work. People's preferences for crispiness vary, it's got to be hot, etc.,. Perhaps Abby will have some thoughts.

I'll bring you some McDonald's.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#3 guajolote

guajolote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:31 PM

my favorite is the bacon from jones dairy farm. usingers also makes good bacon.

#4 Chef/Writer Spencer

Chef/Writer Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:34 PM

nueske's
I love eGullet. I love eGullet. eGullet loves me.

#5 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:57 PM

nueske's

Right.

Although I haven't tried any of the Greenpoint varieties.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:57 PM

Nassau Meat Market is not open on Sundays. I'm not sure it's better than S&W's double smoked. It's different.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#7 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,471 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 05:14 PM

I like both Nueske's and Schaller & Weber's double-smoked bacon, but I've never had Usinger's.

#8 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 09:24 PM

Last night BBQmonster proposed a bacon tasting, like the rib tasting. Logistically, I can't figure out how to make it work. People's preferences for crispiness vary, it's got to be hot, etc.,.

Bacon sandwiches. Bacon, to the desired crispiness, on Wonderbread.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#9 whippedkeptboy

whippedkeptboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:48 PM

Sure, but the big question is: pan or oven fried?

#10 Chef/Writer Spencer

Chef/Writer Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:15 PM

Oven fried, on a rack.

#11 Kim

Kim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:41 PM

slab bacon from maresca's in sergentsville NJ ( here: http://www.s-t.com/d...98/b02ho059.htm ), and in a pan, low heat, so that the entire house is permeatd with wonderful bacon-ness aromas, so your eyes are treated to the slow rendering, eventual browning and crisping, and so that you have a pan all ready to go for your fried eggs.

#12 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:15 AM

Always in the oven. Always, always. On sheet pans, turning with tongs. One has better control, the bacon doesn't curl, and the fat renders without burning.

I get slabs of bacon primarily from a Polish deli and a German deli. Sometimes I'll have them slice it thickly but I'm really into lardons so I just dice up the slabs myself.

Lardons I do in cast iron pans.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#13 Chef/Writer Spencer

Chef/Writer Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:58 AM

if you cook it in the oven on a trivet, cooling rack, etc. over a sheet tray the fat will drop below away from the bacon and get evenly crisp.

#14 pixelchef

pixelchef

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:51 AM

Bacon sandwiches. Bacon, to the desired crispiness, on Wonderbread.

Agreed, with the caveat of adding a scant amount of ketchup and a good grind of pepper. Heinz, of course. Heirloom tomatoes are delicious as well, but really, who needs fruit on a bacon sandwich?

#15 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:59 AM

:( Yum. Bacon.

Oven cooked bacon always triggers a child's summer vacation memory of a wonderful trip on my grandfather's seiner to old Chatham Cannery. Climbed up to the galley to the intoxicating smells of crispy bacon and strong coffee percolating on a perfect, sunny day.

We all know people who can be as gratuitously insulting about soup as they can about the Senate. - g.johnson