Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:16 PM

So you didn't upload that picture on eG then :(

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#32 ampletuna

ampletuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

the bacon at Ginger Pig is exceptional. does anyone have any other UK rec's for bacon?

What is that bacon bite stuff made of? It reminds me of the salad bar at Pizza Hut during 1980s.
Yes, I would not recommend smell, touch or taste when it comes to old cock selection. Opinions differ though. Adam 2/3/05

#33 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:10 PM

Niman Ranch bacon is surprisingly mediocre. I like Neuske's or Father's. I always cook in a pan on top of the stove.

Best bacon uses:

BLT with great tomatoes
Hot Brown
Pasta Carbonara
Salade Lyonnaise

#34 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:11 PM

Sliced some Essex Market bacon this morning for a sandwich made with Amy's pain de campagne :( . Some more, served over cabbage, will be lunch.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#35 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:57 PM

Crispy bacon is the first step on the descent into this:

Posted Image

Devils work.

Also that pre-cooked bacon they sell in the supermarkets here, that is also devils work.

"And so the eaters of crispy bacon were punished for their folly"

Agreed.

Vulcanized bacon is evil.

I tried those bacon bit things once and they tasted like bananas to me. :(
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#36 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:34 PM

Vulcanized bacon

Heh.

#37 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:36 PM

Niman Ranch bacon is surprisingly mediocre. 

Amen to that, though not terribly surprising.

I need to try some of Father's regular bacon. The apple cinnamon was downright criminal, the plain cinnamon somewhat tasty. The suggestion of cinnamon + bacon was brilliant, for that I thank you again. And the bacon itself was gorgeous. It's the flavoring(s) I could have done without.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#38 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:44 PM

You must be getting different bacon than I am, Ron. I mean it. I think it's fantastic: the perfect saltiness, thickness, everything.

We've got people all over the county who make bacon, and this stuff puts everyone else to shame.

#39 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

Well, I too think it's overrated. I really don't get what is supposedly so great about it. Maybe I'm spoiled by the delicious bacon available at the greenmarkets and the Polish butcher near my former apartment. They both blow NR out of the water.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#40 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:49 PM

Niman Ranch bacon is surprisingly mediocre. 

Amen to that, though not terribly surprising.

I need to try some of Father's regular bacon. The apple cinnamon was downright criminal, the plain cinnamon somewhat tasty. The suggestion of cinnamon + bacon was brilliant, for that I thank you again. And the bacon itself was gorgeous. It's the flavoring(s) I could have done without.

Agreed. The flavorings do get old. I like the peppered bacon much better than the cinnamon. Their plain bacon is my favorite.

#41 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:07 PM

Flavoured bacon?

Double-smoked is as far as I can agree with this.

I've had peppered bacon and it was nowhere near as good as bascon with fresh cracked black pepper.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#42 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:12 PM

Flavoured bacon :( . How can I ever take you people seriously again when you are so ready to sin against that which God made perfect.

#43 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:14 PM

Flavoured bacon :( . How can I ever take you people seriously again when you are so ready to sin against that which God made perfect.

I know, I know.

I ask for forgiveness.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#44 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:16 PM

I have previously acknowledged an addiction, though. Can I use that as an excuse?

#45 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:32 PM

A bacon fry-off is doable. Four fry pans at a time or baked in the oven, some good baguettes and butter and a plate of great heirloom tomatoes. Voila. Two or three rounds of tastings. Everyone brings a variety (not a flavor, no, no) of the raw porkly-goodness.

Fan, what do you think of Nodine's? (or have I asked you this before?)
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY