2625 replies to this topic

#1 ahr

ahr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:45 PM

I had dinner the other night with some of the Burger Club guys & gals at New York Burger Co., initially much praised elsewhere. Unfortunately, the food on the tray added up to less than the sum of its attractive parts -- though better-balanced when ordered as a double.

On the way back, we passed through Madison Square Park. The scent of grease from the Shake Shack was so seductive that one of us bought a burger, which, based on just a tiny taste, was very promising.
"To Serve Man"
-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 03:26 PM

The NY Daily News recently offered an article on several Manhattan burger establishments. Based on my observations of the Burger Club methodology, I think there's often a difference in the burger results when one person orders one burger, and ten people simultaneously order ten burgers. Scares, the kitchen, maybe...

Burger Article
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,114 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 03:49 PM

Maybe the places serving 4-5oz patties of ground beef just aren't particularly serious about cooking them to perfection? :D

I can see the point of sampling the larger sized burgers, where there's significant interior, but the small ones end up being just slightly better than McD.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:00 AM

On the way back, we passed through Madison Square Park. The scent of grease from the Shake Shack was so seductive that one of us bought a burger, which, based on just a tiny taste, was very promising.

Shake Shack closes for the season on November 1, so make any planned trips in the next few days or wait until Spring...
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:06 AM

Aaaarggghhhh!
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:10 PM

Ah, don't bother. You are all nuts, and so is everyone on Chowhound and eGullet. Completely crazy.

So, I go down to Shake Shack off-peak and just go for the straightforward SHackburger with cheese. Little tiny burger on the kind of soft white bun known in England as a bap. Bit of tomato, bit of lettuce. Slice of American cheese. And the special sauce about which I can remember nothing.

And you people are standing in line for this?

Yes, it is better than McDonalds. In a sane world, McDonald would be about this good, and no-one would be standing in line for it.

Barmy. The lot of you.

Edit to add: Loonies.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 Elissa

Elissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:14 PM

Completely in accord Wilf. What they're so excited about I couldn't tell.
i find it wildly amusing because i'm mildly drunk. -helena

#8 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:15 PM

Scary, isn't it? I swear, if it wasn't in a kiosk in a park, and had no Danny Meyer-ness to it, it wouldn't get a mention.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#9 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:20 PM

I was similarly unimpressed when I took myself there for lunch a week ago. I did like the fries, but the vanilla shake was a pathetic, watery thing. If there is a next time, I'll stick w/the Chicago style hot dog.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:27 PM

I would have ordered fries if I'd known how small the burger was going to be. We used to get served burgers like this at school.
Elect-a-lujah

#11 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:29 PM

I would have ordered fries if I'd known how small the burger was going to be. We used to get served burgers like this at school.

they had burgers back then?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#12 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:29 PM

I don't know. I can't remember.
Elect-a-lujah

#13 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:30 PM

I liked the one hotdog and shake I had. Not worth the 45 minute wait (between the line and waiting for the food), but definitely not bad and cheap. I don't like to order burgers unless I know I'm getting a nice fat patty of high quality beef that's going to be very rare on the inside. That doesn't seem like the Shack type. McDonalds fries and nuggets are good, but the burgers are disgusting.

#14 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:32 PM

It's the line that boggles me. I could understand someone picking up one of these burgers for a snack - there is nothing nasty about them.

But it's a fucking destination! The line is ridiculous!
Elect-a-lujah

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:12 PM

I like the Shackburger. Fries are so so, and shakes are nothing special. But wait on a long line? Forget it.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid