14 replies to this topic

#1 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

Parents of this Mouthfuler are seeking advice for dining in the Burlington VT area. Any pointers? Tips? Deferrals?
I thank yew.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#2 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:02 PM

I'll ask Rob when he shows up...
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:09 PM

New England Culinary Institute is nearby in Montpelier (just down 89). They've closed their restaurant in downtown Burlington where we ate last December, but they still have several restaurants at The Inn at Essex in Essex Junction (very close to Burlington).

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

I'd heard great things about Smokejacks. Finally had lunch there last week, and it didn't disappoint. Friend and I sampled a sweet potato bisque to start (mostly out of curiosity); smooth and tart with a bite of chipotle. I had a smoked chicken quesadilla, friend had a mahi-mahi taco. Split a very respectable bottle of riesling. With tip, came to $38 each. Look forward to returning for dinner, when the menu is a bit more, well dinner-y. Excellent wine list and cheese selection.

I'm fond of Luenig's Bistro, not least because when holed up inside it's easy to imagine oneself somewhere in France. But the food is good, too. Open for lunch and dinner.

Both Luenig's and Smokejacks are on the Church St. pedestrian mall.

The friend I lunched with also recommends Trattoria Delia (sp?); in town but not quite sure where. Open for dinner only.

There are several well-recommended places south of town (about a half-hour drive down Rt. 7). Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes and Starry Night Cafe in Ferrisburg.

#5 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:25 PM

DOH!
And that's my mom. She confused Burlington with Bennington.
They're going to be in Southern Vermont near Brattleboro and Bennington. But I am willing to ship them up to Burlington at a later date to atone for her error, of course of course.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:34 PM

The "dining scene" in Bennington is miserable. But if you want to send them to get you something great:

they can get you some excellent birch beer and root beer from Jensen's
they can get you an assorted case of McNeill's beers from the liquor store right on the main drag in the middle of town

They could have breakfast at the Blue Benn, a very old diner with some pretty mediocre food, but a fun place
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#7 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:43 PM

DOH!
And that's my mom. She confused Burlington with Bennington.
They're going to be in Southern Vermont near Brattleboro and Bennington. But I am willing to ship them up to Burlington at a later date to atone for her error, of course of course.

Ah. Yes, Bennington is a wash. There's a lot of interesting stuff in Brattleboro: good ethnic – Indian (India Palace), Thai (Thai Palace, Anon's), Korean (Shin-La). Good mid-range: 39 Main, and there's another new place just up the block from 39 Main called Capers that looks interesting. If they want upscale, steer them away from TJ Buckley's and towards Peter Havens. Metropolis Wine Bar is a fun place for cocktails.

I just read an article about the Chelsea Royal Diner in West Brattleboro. Sounds very interesting. The owner/chef has a background in fine dining but took it to the people, so good, cheap food with a lot of local color.

Don't know much about the towns in between Benn. & Bratt.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Edited to correct the names of a couple of restaurants.

Edited by GG Mora, 31 May 2006 - 03:45 PM.

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:30 AM

Now you're talking my nabe (well, for one week a year, anyway :( ).

Chelsea Royal certainly doesn't evince any fine-dining roots. :( But it's a solid diner, with decent food. We enjoy it a lot, but more for the "atmosphere" than the vittles.

There's not a whole lot between Bennington and Brattleboro, unless you want to go off Route 9. In Wilmington there's Dot's, which is another diner-type place, excellent for breakfast if you don't want to be able to do anything else the rest of the day.) If you take a left at the stoplight in Wilmington (uh, it's the ONLY stoplight between B'ton and B'boro) and go north on 100, there's Ravello (or there was the last couple of summers), an okay Italian place a few miles up, not far past what looks like a farmstand but isn't. Further up 100 in West Dover there's Deerhill Inn (although we haven't eaten there in a few years; but it used to be very good). There are also some good places in Newfane and South Newfane -- Four Columns Inn and Old Newfane Inn.

And I second everything GG said about places in Brattleboro. Peter Havens is fine, and the guys who run it are very helpful and a lot of fun. Interesting wine list there. I can't remember the name of the place near 39 Main either, but we had a good meal there last year just after they opened. And if your folks want to spend an afternoon drinking excellent beer, they should go to MacNeils, 1/2 block further out along the street that Peter Havens is on, just a little beyond the municipal parking garage.

If they wouldn't mind driving up to Putney, the Putney Inn is good. But I would skip the barbecue shack across the road from the Putney Coop; I've been a couple of times, and it mediocre. Nice family, but not very good Q. :(

(If you want me to fax you a list of places that the Marlboro Music Festival puts out -- with names, phone numbers, etc -- PM me.)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

Had a very nice meal, with lots of great local product, at Misery Loves Company.

It's actually in Winooski, a mere 10 minute/$8 cab ride away from the Inn where we holed up.

And a good burger at Farmhouse Tap and Grill, in Burlington.  Strangely, they also had lots of local product on their menu.

#10 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

By the way, if you're heading up to Burlington, I can highly recommend the inn we stayed at - Willard Street Inn...

36120340482_f618c9af3c_c.jpg

Pictured from its backyard.

#11 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

Another long weekend in Burlington, with some leaves still left on the trees.

iSker67.jpg?1

GbmLyhg.jpg?1

We basically ate at the same places we ate last time.  Misery Loves Company where I took this awful picture

ucqesYE.jpg?1

was quite good. That's an all house-made charcuterie platter, one of the best I've had.

Plenty of these at their local farmer's market, last Saturday of the season for the market...

NrXZ8c9.jpg?1

A lovely little city.

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,544 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

Wow that really is an awful picture.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:51 PM

Wow that really is an awful picture.

And that's after I enhanced it! 

I can't believe I even posted it. 

#14 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:48 AM

I really love Burlington and try to get there 3-4 times a year. Some favorites of mine:

Hen of the Woods: sadly they recently had a fire and as I understand it, are closed and sorting out insurance. Whenever I'm in Burlington I go for what my friends and I call "sexy toast" which is: hen of the woods, bacon, poached egg on toast. It's pretty amazing and I've been known to have another for dessert. Don't get me wrong, there are other good things on the menu but that dish is what draws me time and time again. 

Honey Road: really great James Beard award winning middle eastern restaurant. They apparently have a good wine list too.

Farmhouse Tap you mentioned upthread is also a favorite. I like to go for brunch and they also have some good lunch options.

Foam Brewers: a must stop if you are into beer, they are also right on the shore of Lake Champlain.

I also love Burlington Beer Co which strangely is outside of Burlington but is really worth a visit.

If you are a beer person, the "bevie" or Beverage Warehouse in Winooski is known widely to have an amazing selection of beer.

Penny Cluse: for breakfast. Usually a line so plan ahead.

The Great Northern: good stop right after hitting the farmers market or the breweries on Pine Street.

A recent favorite is an interesting wine bar called Co Cellars. They are doing really interesting things fermenting cider with wine. I recommend going in and asking them to walk you through some of their open bottles. Located on Pine Street in an old warehouse(?) that also includes a really good coffee roaster.

Right outside of Burlington is Shelburne, which is lovely and worth a visit. Specifically Shelburne Farm which is good for walking, you can also buy their excellent cheddar at the farm store.

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#15 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:35 PM

A recent favorite is an interesting wine bar called Co Cellars. They are doing really interesting things fermenting cider with wine. I recommend going in and asking them to walk you through some of their open bottles. Located on Pine Street in an old warehouse(?) that also includes a really good coffee roaster.

Right outside of Burlington is Shelburne, which is lovely and worth a visit. Specifically Shelburne Farm which is good for walking, you can also buy their excellent cheddar at the farm store.

One of the ciders we drank at Farmhouse was co-fermented and delicious. From Citizen Cider.

Shelburne Farms is great; I have a few pounds of their various cheddars (they must have like 7 or 8 different ones) in the fridge.

Sad about Hen of the Woods, or we would've checked it out this trip.

On the drive up, there is allegedly a good bakery in Vergennes. And now that I look at their web site, I understand why it has never been open when we pass by,

Oh - we also had decent barbecue for lunch at Bluebird!