Input Sought on Rao's Reservation

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of years ago there was an good post on CH written by someone who got taken there as a guest.

Simply put, you will not be appalled or get sick or be turned off by it. But you will think at one point - as I am certain all diners have done there, that after all the anticipation and the waiting and the schoomzing ... whats the big deal here? I define it as, things taste the way they should. Marina sauce tastes like a bunch of tomato married with some herbs and seasoning, meatballs taste like a a well rounded recipe and not memorable, sausages in a sauce tastes - well like good italian sausage, and again - nothing out of this world in comparison to the out of this world privilege it is for you to eat there. Things taste right, okay, with pastas while are not homemade are cooked al dente - and just fine.

I'd go for a drink too but there's a place in New Jersey that I go to with Rao's type atmosphere and much better food.

I'd go for a drink too but there's a place in New Jersey that I go to with Rao's type atmosphere and much better food.

I certainly wouldn't pay $30k for the privilege of dining there, but if the opportunity presents itself I would certainly go — if only to check the box and say I'd done it.

there's a place in New Jersey that I go to with Rao's type atmosphere and much better food.

olive garden?

Snotnose.

Tuzzio's in Long Branch. Wonderful red sauce Italian, cheap but drinkable red wines, and generously poured martinis. It's been open for 50 years and could easily have been transported from an old line Brooklyn Italian neighborhood. A gem.

It's just a private social club, isn't it? You go there for the camaraderie with friends. If you don't get invited by a friend, you don't belong there. Not for name-droppers or wannabees. There are ethnic bars/restaurants like this in lots of neighborhoods. You need to be a regular participant and contributor. The difficulty in getting a reservation depends on who YOU are to THEM. Just MHO.

there's a place in New Jersey that I go to with Rao's type atmosphere and much better food.

olive garden?

Snotnose.

Tuzzio's in Long Branch. Wonderful red sauce Italian, cheap but drinkable red wines, and generously poured martinis. It's been open for 50 years and could easily have been transported from an old line Brooklyn Italian neighborhood. A gem.

Belmont Tavern on Bloomfield Avenue in Belleville and Michaelanglo's on Bloomfield Avenue in Newark also fit this bill very nicely. Good, reliable food with quality ingredients.

• 1 month later...
Guest Aaron T

Zagat has a Q&A with Frankie Jr.

When speaking about the expansion to Vegas he said

Everyone involved with this project is in love with Rao's, the passion, the heart, the soul. It's not about money. It's about what Rao's means to the people who go to Rao's. This is a restaurant like none other. We don't want people to just leave full. We want people to leave fulfilled.

That is just priceless.

Everyone involved with this project is in love with Rao's, the passion, the heart, the soul. It's not about money. It's about what Rao's means to the people who go to Rao's. This is a restaurant like none other. We don't want people to just leave full. We want people to leave fulfilled.

That is just priceless.

Thanks for the link. Here's another comment, later in the same interview:

MS: And how's the outdoor bocce court doing?

FP: We all play bocce here. We just opened a Bocce Bar next to the bocce court. And we've hired Bocce Bellas who come out in bikinis and teach people how to play bocce.

I certainly wouldn't pay $30k for the privilege of dining there, but if the opportunity presents itself I would certainly go — if only to check the box and say I'd done it.

They love people like you.

Help me.

For more than a century, the descendants of founder Charles Rao have resisted the urge to replicate. Then, in 2006, they announced they were opening an outpost in Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, a move that sent shock waves throughout the restaurant industry. And the Rao's buzz shows no signs of cooling: recently it was announced that its signature wines would be sold at select Whole Foods. So why did Rao's open a branch after more than 100 years of solitude?

I see Baldoria has closed, but what else was Baldoria if not Frankie Jr's branch of Rao's?

Help me.

For more than a century, the descendants of founder Charles Rao have resisted the urge to replicate. Then, in 2006, they announced they were opening an outpost in Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, a move that sent shock waves throughout the restaurant industry. And the Rao's buzz shows no signs of cooling: recently it was announced that its signature wines would be sold at select Whole Foods. So why did Rao's open a branch after more than 100 years of solitude?

I see Baldoria has closed, but what else was Baldoria if not Frankie Jr's branch of Rao's?

Baldoria was an overpriced horrible restaurant.

That is just priceless.

Whenever someone says "It's not about money," it's about the money.