The Rancho Gordo Thread

Isn't it about time we had a dedicated thread?

I just received my latest shipment – Yellow Indian Woman, Flor de Junio and Flageolets (all of which I've ordered before) plus Good Mother Stallard, Scarlet Runner and Black Nightfall – all of which are some of the most beautiful dried beans I've ever seen. Steve, in all your spare time, you should be making decorative mosaics with your beans!

The Mother Stallards and Scarlett Runners I plan on cooking on their own with a simple mirepoix. The flageolets will go into the delicious Spring Lamb and Flageolets from the RG site. I plan on making this again as soon as we get our first blush of cooler fall weather.

And I still have a bag of white posole from my last order. For some reason, I'm hesitant about making Posole for the first time.

• Like 23
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't it about time we had a dedicated thread?   I just received my latest shipment – Yellow Indian Woman, Flor de Junio and Flageolets (all of which I've ordered before) plus Good Mother Stallard,

Curious thing happened today. I put about a 1/2 lb of Madeira beans in water to soak. A couple of hours later, many (maybe 40%) of the beans had split completely in half. I'm charging ahead anyway,

I've missed all you alls so very much. 

Posted Images

I'm going to dedicate my life to making The Scream happy. I think we all should.

Thank you GG. I'm blushng and with this fabulous tan, that is something!

I think I can announce this already. I spent the morning at the Google "campus". It's a huge series of buildings with thousands of employees. One of the perks of working there is you get free food. Not just bagels and lox for meetings, but actual meals. One of their cafes is Google 150 and it's received a lot of press because all of the food is grown within 150 miles of the cafe. The new restaurant is going to be called American Table. I've been selling to several of the restaurants but today they have commited to buying 100% of the crop next year of 2 rather rare beans. One is our own Shelora's wild black bean from Oaxaca and the other is Rosa de Castilla, which isn't grown commercially in the states but I have seen it in Mexico on a smallish scale. So they're sponsoring two beans! Even more thrilling, a reporter from Newsweek was there as I made my presentation. I doubt I'll make it into the story but who knows. Press releases will go out on Monday. I'm very excited!

I have enough on my plate, thanks. Steve, I never knew until I tasted your beans, that they had such varied "personalities," each one delicious and much to my surprise and pleasure, kosher for Weight-Watchers.

Isn't it about time we had a dedicated thread?

YES! Already this is my favorite thread EVER on MF or anywhere else for that matter!

Mine, too!

When you sponsor a bean, do you get greeting cards from it at holiday time?

I'm going to dedicate my life to making The Scream happy. I think we all should.

Thank you GG. I'm blushng and with this fabulous tan, that is something!

I think I can announce this already. I spent the morning at the Google "campus". It's a huge series of buildings with thousands of employees. One of the perks of working there is you get free food. Not just bagels and lox for meetings, but actual meals. One of their cafes is Google 150 and it's received a lot of press because all of the food is grown within 150 miles of the cafe. The new restaurant is going to be called American Table. I've been selling to several of the restaurants but today they have commited to buying 100% of the crop next year of 2 rather rare beans. One is our own Shelora's wild black bean from Oaxaca and the other is Rosa de Castilla, which isn't grown commercially in the states but I have seen it in Mexico on a smallish scale. So they're sponsoring two beans! Even more thrilling, a reporter from Newsweek was there as I made my presentation. I doubt I'll make it into the story but who knows. Press releases will go out on Monday. I'm very excited!

That is indeed exciting news for you. But not for us. Why not? We'll have to wait until the following year to taste them. :lol:

No, seriously -- that's great. Does it mean that if we google on "bean" you'll be the first site to appear? :huh:

name='Suzanne F' date='Aug 11 2006, 09:24 PM' post='723108']

name='rancho_gordo' post='722756' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:09 PM']

No, seriously -- that's great. Does it mean that if we google on "bean" you'll be the first site to appear? :huh:

:lol:

(obligatory post to bump up thread)

And to think I knew him twenty years ago, back when he was a nobody, just like me!

(Actually, he was really groovy even back then.)

Congrats, Sando!

*hums: "Beans could get no keener reception in a beanery..."*

Just caught this. Squeat and I were in the "Giro Giusto" of San Francisco. Talk about your Bay of Pigs....

And to think I knew him twenty years ago, back when he was a nobody, just like me!

(Actually, he was really groovy even back then.)

Congrats, Sando!

*hums: "Beans could get no keener reception in a beanery..."*

Just caught this. Squeat and I were in the "Giro Giusto" of San Francisco. Talk about your Bay of Pigs....

And to think that I knew him when he was Mr. Lucky, star of stage and screen and print and the underpopulated internet. Ah, the good old days...

Steve, those beans are beautiful.

I'm another fan of Rancho Gordo beans. My personal favorite are probably Rio Zape. Anywho, this past Saturday I bought a boatload of beans at Ferry Plaza to last until my next trip west (I know, I know...he ships). Late last night after my flight home, I was standing in the airport waiting for my luggage to offload and I had set my shopping bag on the floor next to me with all the bags of jewel-like beans lined up on top. An attractive woman looked at my face and her eyes then scanned downward. Rather than comment on my swanky shoes or hipster blue jeans she said only "Those beans are soooooo pretty."

Will post results from the bean pot later this month when the weather cools a bit and I feel like having the stove going for several hours.

I'm another fan of Rancho Gordo beans. My personal favorite are probably Rio Zape. Anywho, this past Saturday I bought a boatload of beans at Ferry Plaza to last until my next trip west (I know, I know...he ships). Late last night after my flight home, I was standing in the airport waiting for my luggage to offload and I had set my shopping bag on the floor next to me with all the bags of jewel-like beans lined up on top. An attractive woman looked at my face and her eyes then scanned downward. Rather than comment on my swanky shoes or hipster blue jeans she said only "Those beans are soooooo pretty."

Will post results from the bean pot later this month when the weather cools a bit and I feel like having the stove going for several hours.

Was I nice to you? Saturday was a blur. How did I look? Was it a good hair day?

Will you tell the others how thin I really am?

Did you tell me you were on MF? Next time you must!