The Rancho Gordo Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't it about time we had a dedicated thread?   I just received my latest shipment – Yellow Indian Woman, Flor de Junio and Flageolets (all of which I've ordered before) plus Good Mother Stallard,

Curious thing happened today. I put about a 1/2 lb of Madeira beans in water to soak. A couple of hours later, many (maybe 40%) of the beans had split completely in half. I'm charging ahead anyway,

I've missed all you alls so very much. 

Posted Images

Hey anyone have the rg cookbook handy? I want to make the yellow indian woman salad with the preserved lemons. What else do I need besides the beans, preserved lemons, and bulgur? Thanks.

(By the way, I made a soup last week with farro and canellinis I got from Fairway. I ended up doctoring the recipe with lemon juice and and cayenne in an effort to make it less bland. It turned out very nice, but I realized later that the real problem was that the beans were undistinguished! I need to stick to my heirlooms, from rg and elsewhere.)

you need green onions, flat leaf parsley, lemon juice, garlic, harissa paste, olive oil and ground pepper

Boy, the thanks you get for plugging a man's product. First I get no freebies, and now this recipe insult.

I'm sorry, my tear stained cheeks were swollen with grief upon reading the word "elsewhere". Anything else I read made little sense. I ran to the shore to scream my sorrow but even the waves couldn't drown out the sound of my broken heart.

All the perfumed of Araby will fail to mask the stench of your betrayal!

You got a brief mention on this past week's The Splendid Table. Lynn Rosetto Kaspar was answering a question about why someone's black-eyed peas never softened. Lynn was mentioning putting the aromatics in with beans at the very beginning - something she picked up from Steve Sando of Rancho Gordo, who grows heirloom beans. She may have said wonderful heirloom beans, but I'm not positive.

That salad is nice, one of the best recipes in the book that I've tried so far, I think. There's nothing earth-shattering about it, but I'm always really happy to find ways to use wholesome ingredients like bulgur or farro or quinoa without ending up with an unappealing product reeking of "health food." I upped the amount of preserved lemon and cut back a little on the olive oil, but just a little. It's a delicious salad and those yellow indian woman beans are super good, never had 'em before.

I read about that Banana Vinegar, and about the Napa chef that was mixing it with piloncillo as a topping for ice cream, and was so intrigued that I had to try it.

It is indeed amazing, just as Steve says. It's unusual, like nothing I've ever had on ice cream. It tastes like a really dark and slightly tangy caramel with definite banana undertones. I'm very eager to see what else I can do with that banana vinegar. It's ambrosial.

Banana Vinegar

That salad is nice, one of the best recipes in the book that I've tried so far, I think. There's nothing earth-shattering about it, but I'm always really happy to find ways to use wholesome ingredients like bulgur or farro or quinoa without ending up with an unappealing product reeking of "health food." I upped the amount of preserved lemon and cut back a little on the olive oil, but just a little. It's a delicious salad and those yellow indian woman beans are super good, never had 'em before.

I have to admit this was definitely one of Vanessa's recipes. I barely recognize it!

I agree about Yellow Indian Woman. So weirdly creamy!

Nice bean link with a few recipes: Apartment Therapy - the Kitchn

Last night M made Rio Zapes with homemade chile sauce from the stash carried home from Morelia, cooked low and slow along with some shortribs, plus some browned onions and garlic. The beans held their shape and overall, one of his best versions. Served with rice. We forgot something green.