The Rancho Gordo Thread

So, the other day I baked these chickpeas that I had soaked.. baked them in an oven at 400 degrees for 15 or 30 minutes.. added rosemary, salt, and cayenne when they came out.. Served with home baked kale chips with cocktails for my vegetarian friends..

Last night, i had some presoaked Ranch Beans for two days.. Large beans, cannellini beans, that i treated the same way.. put on a tray, added a little oil, and then baked them till they were crunchy... Boy were they crunchy..

I am thinking this could be the next corn nut.. Great with beer and kale chips... Couldnt stop eating these things.

Rancho, I;m thinking you need to start selling bean nuts..they would have been great too with some peanuts..

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't it about time we had a dedicated thread?   I just received my latest shipment – Yellow Indian Woman, Flor de Junio and Flageolets (all of which I've ordered before) plus Good Mother Stallard,

Curious thing happened today. I put about a 1/2 lb of Madeira beans in water to soak. A couple of hours later, many (maybe 40%) of the beans had split completely in half. I'm charging ahead anyway,

I've missed all you alls so very much. 

Posted Images

So, the other day I baked these chickpeas that I had soaked.. baked them in an oven at 400 degrees for 15 or 30 minutes.. added rosemary, salt, and cayenne when they came out.. Served with home baked kale chips with cocktails for my vegetarian friends..

Last night, i had some presoaked Ranch Beans for two days.. Large beans, cannellini beans, that i treated the same way.. put on a tray, added a little oil, and then baked them till they were crunchy... Boy were they crunchy..

I am thinking this could be the next corn nut.. Great with beer and kale chips... Couldnt stop eating these things.

Rancho, I;m thinking you need to start selling bean nuts..they would have been great too with some peanuts..

Italians do that with favas. They are great.

• 2 weeks later...

Some news from the Gordo via his newsletter:

My New Book is Almost Here

I just received my advance copy of The Rancho Gordo Heirloom Bean Growers Guide from Timber Press today.

and, a new item

You may know piloncillo from the hard cones you find in Latin markets. It's an refined sugar with a stronger flavor. Ours is magically granulated and much easier to use.

For me, hot espresso and milk now need this piloncillo and a canela stick. It's the best morning jolt imaginable

and, an opportunity to interact with him face to face in the Tamales by the Bay Festival in San Francisco on April 17. A second opportunity presents itself in the north at the Calistoga Tamale Festival on May 1st.

I'm so elusive and beguiling!

Thank you for the shout out. I'm really happy with the book but it's not a cookbook and should have limited appeal, unless you are a bean freak, like me. We'll see.

I'm actually not doing the Tamales by the Bay fest myself; the staff is going. I'll be at the Calistoga Tamale Festival.

But all you need to interact face to face is to buy me a drink and tell me I'm pretty! i'll even dance!

the book is less than $12 books on Amazon right now. I think it's worth it!

51paAdUn9aL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and, an opportunity to interact with him face to face

remember: an opportunity to interact face to face is just as easily an opportunity to interact fist to face.

But again, you must first buy me a drink and tell me I'm pretty.

Pretty popular in the middle east as well.

Pretty popular in the middle east as well.

Mexico does it with favas, too--baked with salt and chile. Very crunchy and very addictive.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1. Tonight at 5:50 pm at the Colonial Arts gallery on 16th street: book party with snacks and tequila. It's a great store and we'll have tamales made from our heirloom corn and cheese cakes using the marmalada from Xoxoc. San Francisco.

2. Want to go to Mexico? You can download an invite here. Give it a chance to download.

It looks like we're sold out but I'm not quite sure yet.

End of shill.

1. Tonight at 5:50 pm at the Colonial Arts gallery on 16th street: book party with snacks and tequila. It's a great store and we'll have tamales made from our heirloom corn and cheese cakes using the marmalada from Xoxoc. San Francisco.

2. Want to go to Mexico? You can download an invite here. Give it a chance to download.

It looks like we're sold out but I'm not quite sure yet.

End of shill.

I looked at that yesterday - that trip looks positively amazing. I wish experiences like that were more available.

(If you need someone to fill one spot...)

New restaurant in town - Poquitos. Right at 10th and Pike. Strolled by to see what it looked like - big space, lots of wrought iron, tile, wood, big outdoor room (under cover). On the rack with Chiclets? Bags of Rancho Gordo beans (for sale?)! They say they use them in the kitchen. Wow! Same folks as Bastille, plus four.

Steve - how big is the restaurant market for RG?