The Rancho Gordo Thread

Do you soak? I wonder if that would even things out a bit.

I soak, both myself and beans (and those jeans Stone loves so much, hand made in the usa). As mentioned above, some of these just burst when soaked, some did the right thing. Not the end of the world, just curious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't it about time we had a dedicated thread?   I just received my latest shipment – Yellow Indian Woman, Flor de Junio and Flageolets (all of which I've ordered before) plus Good Mother Stallard,

Curious thing happened today. I put about a 1/2 lb of Madeira beans in water to soak. A couple of hours later, many (maybe 40%) of the beans had split completely in half. I'm charging ahead anyway,

I've missed all you alls so very much. 

Posted Images

The Rancho Gordo Heirloom Bean Grower's Guide made David Lebovitz's favourite cookbooks of 2011 list.

Nothing against Steve, but what cookbook didn't make Lebovitz's favorites?

:lol: It was an odd mix of books, wasn't it?

Another sighting--I was looking at the Washington Post's slideshow of gifts under $25 for food lovers, and what should #12 be? Crimson popcorn from Rancho Gordo. Guess the beans didn't make the cut (though a couple of bags made the picture!)

The trip was actually in Feb. I just back from the same region but without DK. And it wasn't quite a bust. Or at all. It was fun and productive. But we did end up not working with the initial farmers. But the bottom line is that we'll have Oaxacan chiles before long.

Do you soak? I wonder if that would even things out a bit.

I soak, both myself and beans (and those jeans Stone loves so much, hand made in the usa). As mentioned above, some of these just burst when soaked, some did the right thing. Not the end of the world, just curious.

maybe you should soak the beans alone.

it's possible that having you and Stone's jeans in the bean pool throws off the bean chemistry a bit.

worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Just because all the bean expertise is here - I will ask - we picked up some dried favas in Sicily (I think they were grown in Egypt!) that are split and skinned. Would you soak them a long time and make anything in particular from them - besides Ful (Foul)?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to a book I'm working on, I now have an explanation of why we should not add salt early in the cooking process:

Salt is yang, and if used at the beginning of cooking, it will keep beans hard and contracted.

(This does not constitute a statement of fact. Nothing in this book--The MILF Diet--should be taken as fact. :rolleyes: )

Thanks to a book I'm working on, I now have an explanation of why we should not add salt early in the cooking process:

Salt is yang, and if used at the beginning of cooking, it will keep beans hard and contracted.

(This does not constitute a statement of fact. Nothing in this book--The MILF Diet--should be taken as fact. :rolleyes: )

It's also wrong as demonstrated at length by This. Acid, however, does keep beans hard and contracted (but can also be used at the end of cooking to keep them intact).