GG Mora

The Rancho Gordo Thread

You can always blame Vanessa for the recipe, if you were the type to hold a grudge, which of course you're not. But I'm amazed that mongo should do anything generous. I presume he demanded beans for life in return.

I wanted to give this thread a bump to express my gratitude for being able to cook at home with such truly excellent ingredients. And they're all so different!

Really, Steve, thanks.

(BTW, when are changing the name to Palacio Gordo?)

• Like 1

I wish they carried Rancho Gordo at New York's Fairway markets. This thread reminded me to place an order with Rancho Gordo, to whom I am ever loyal, but the hassle of mail order means I don't buy them as often as I should. I see now having just visited Steve's web site that there are about a dozen NYC purveyors of his beans now but I don't visit these particular shops that often. I will look for them the next time I'm in Union Market.

Have any of you tried the Zursun Idaho heirloom beans? I have purchased several varieties and I think they too are quality beans. They needn't compete directly with Rancho Gordo for your affections as they offer some different things. I bought the Zursun chana dal and thought the end product was really good.

I wish they carried Rancho Gordo at New York's Fairway markets. This thread reminded me to place an order with Rancho Gordo, to whom I am ever loyal, but the hassle of mail order means I don't buy them as often as I should. I see now having just visited Steve's web site that there are about a dozen NYC purveyors of his beans now but I don't visit these particular shops that often. I will look for them the next time I'm in Union Market.

Seth, you should consider the Bean Club.

• Like 1

The beans are often found in Bed Bath & Beyond stores. Not all stores, but often in those which have the Food World concept. Excellent prices.

It's stupid to say this -- and it's especially painful when you think Steve may be listening -- but RG beans have had this tremendous positive impact on my day-to-day life. They're just that much better.

I just received a really nice shipment from RG. Especially excited to try the Eye of the Goat and Bayo Chocolate beans...

16655118045_3ffe9e459b.jpg

I thought those Red Nightfall beans were also tremendous.