The Rancho Gordo Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't it about time we had a dedicated thread?   I just received my latest shipment – Yellow Indian Woman, Flor de Junio and Flageolets (all of which I've ordered before) plus Good Mother Stallard,

Curious thing happened today. I put about a 1/2 lb of Madeira beans in water to soak. A couple of hours later, many (maybe 40%) of the beans had split completely in half. I'm charging ahead anyway,

I've missed all you alls so very much. 

Posted Images

I wish i could express how happy I am!
I'm just not a traditional retailer. Much happier with ecommerce or wholesale.

Saturday mornings when the market was hopping were great and fun but so much of the time is spent helping tourists find The Slanted Door. And in the end, it's a $6 product.

It was a great experiment and I think we gained a lot from it. But I'm ready to move on!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been wasting Good Mother Stallard beans in braises and stews.

But now that I've had some on their own, I see how sensational they really are. (Yeah, we don't often speak of beans as "sensational" -- but there it is.)

As someone said somewhere on the internet, this is why we bother with heirloom beans.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The gusano is very nice -- and I look forward to seeing what I use it with (it isn't often that I think, this dish would really take off if only it had a little more worm in it) -- but can't we resolve the piloncillo issue?

• Like 1

The gusano is very nice -- and I look forward to seeing what I use it with (it isn't often that I think, this dish would really take off if only it had a little more worm in it) -- but can't we resolve the piloncillo issue?

I just got back last night (Gawd how I love saying that. I wish I could say it much more often these days....)

Apparently the USA has reclassified sugar in order to protect the US sugar industry. Where would that be? Hawaii? California? Piloncillo isn't sugar as it isn't as processed but we're pretty dinky. I confess: Now that my personal stash has long run out, I'm getting testy about it.

My Mexican partners tell me very soon. I'm sorry but some cliches are justified. Soon means nothing. Sorry.