The Rancho Gordo Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't it about time we had a dedicated thread?   I just received my latest shipment – Yellow Indian Woman, Flor de Junio and Flageolets (all of which I've ordered before) plus Good Mother Stallard,

Curious thing happened today. I put about a 1/2 lb of Madeira beans in water to soak. A couple of hours later, many (maybe 40%) of the beans had split completely in half. I'm charging ahead anyway,

I've missed all you alls so very much. 

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

So I'm at Formaggio Essex yesterday (the best local source I've seen for RG beans) and I look at the beans and there are at least 2 varieties I've never seen before. And I'm in the bean club! 

Hidatsa Red Beans were one of the two varieties. The other (name I'm forgetting) doesn't even appear on the web site at this point. I may have to go back and buy them both.

On 3/4/2021 at 3:37 AM, joethefoodie said:

So I'm at Formaggio Essex yesterday (the best local source I've seen for RG beans) and I look at the beans and there are at least 2 varieties I've never seen before. And I'm in the bean club! 

Hidatsa Red Beans were one of the two varieties. The other (name I'm forgetting) doesn't even appear on the web site at this point. I may have to go back and buy them both.

The Hidatsa are in the latest Bean Club shipment.  Has yours come yet?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

Tip: the Royal Coronas don't really take to slow cooker treatment, especially if you're like N and don't pre-soak them.  They're just too big.

Yeah, those suckers are huge…really a good size for the pc. I’ve noted that even soaking they take a few hours on the stove.

I actually made the ayacote negro beans yesterday without soaking; it’s big, kept getting bigger and took about 2.5 hours to achieve almost done ness. I had to add water a few times. They’re certainly not a standard turtle bean…but they are meaty and delicious.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...