[Austin] Outstanding in the Field farm dinner

I have to say upfront that I am a little biased because I work closely with the wife of the chef/owner of Wink. The chef, Stewart Scruggs, is CIA trained, a father of three kids and an inspired, playful chef.

Fino and Asti are two restaurants owned by the husband/wife team of Emmet and Lisa Fox. I'm really not qualified to review their restaurants. Perhaps someone else will jump in here.

I can ask about chefs who are using farm products if you'd like for me to.

Oh, and I love Terry Conlan. Google him and check out his work. He teaches at the Central Market cooking school and is the resident chef at the Lake Austin Spa and Resort. His cookbook, Fresh: Healthy Cooking and Living from Lake Austin Spa Resort - is lovely. He loves to cook organic too.

Here

I think I remember Asti and Boggy Creek Farms pairing up many times for benefits, and for Asti serving food made from Larry and Carol Ann's bounty at Boggy Creek

I've only eaten at Asti once, for lunch, but whatever I had was terrific - I can't recall the particular dish, but the menu was intriguing. Fino is newish - no feedback there

my 2 cents:

Fino and Wink are two of the more trendy places in Austin, but have different strengths.

Wink has a more adventurous menu and you can put together a great 3-4 course meal along with finding some nice deals on the limited but well crafted wine list.

Fino is better for ordering lots of small plates and sharing. They also have amazing desserts, Lisa Fox is a great pastry chef.

I have had good/fun meals at both places...kinda hard to go wrong with either.

This feels like the right place to tell y'all that my wonderful big brother (not the nasty, spiteful big brother) is moving to Austin in a few weeks. He's moving there to be with his girlfriend (and her three kids - she's a widow, folks) and would certainly appreciate outstanding farmers, fields, dinners, et al.

This feels like the right place to tell y'all that my wonderful big brother (not the nasty, spiteful big brother) is moving to Austin in a few weeks. He's moving there to be with his girlfriend (and her three kids - she's a widow, folks) and would certainly appreciate outstanding farmers, fields, dinners, et al.

Which, of course, means you'll be along forthwith.

At least to visit?

Right?

:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and I love Terry Conlan. Google him and check out his work. He teaches at the Central Market cooking school and is the resident chef at the Lake Austin Spa and Resort. His cookbook, Fresh: Healthy Cooking and Living from Lake Austin Spa Resort - is lovely. He loves to cook organic too.

Here

Thanks for this tip. OitF booked him as the guest chef for this farm dinner on September 24. He sounds great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a few photos of yesterday's event

Terry and crew preparing the beet and chevre napoleons (Pure Luck Farm chevre layered between thin sliced beets topped with Cherry Chipotle and toasted Texas pecans)

beetappsoitfzj5.jpg]

Getting okra ready for the Bibb lettuce with Fried Okra, Bacon-Buttermilk-Bluecheese dressing (Amador Farm hydroponic lettuce, Tecolote Farm okra, Peterson Farm bacon, Boggy Creek Farm tomato, Pure Luck Farm blue cheese, Bella Vista Ranch olive oil)

okraappoitfyr3.jpg]

Assembly line for the Shrimp Totopo with Mango-Habanero Aioli (Grilled Texas Gulf shrimp on locally made blue corn tostado with Boggy Creek Farm tomato and pepper pico, Alexander Farm egg-based aioli)

makingshrimpdishoitfoc0.jpg]

sshrimptotoposoitfmp2.jpg]

There was a ton more food, but I was too busy preparing to take more photos. For a complete menu you can go to www.Outstandinginthefield.com.

Here's a photo of the guests enjoying the PERFECT evening.

outstandinginthefieldeventmu4.jpg]

And finally here's Chef Terry Conlan talking to the guests about the menu.

terrycoutstandinginthefieldgj4.jpg]

I think that both Wink and Asti are middling quality restaurants. Asti does have my absolute favortie dessert menu in town, and I have gone there on occasion and skipped straight to dessert. But for the best Italian restaurant in town, I think there is little dispute that Vespaio wins hands down.

Wink tries for contemporary, "hip" cuisine but falls far short of what David Bull at The Driskill Grill achieves. The prices at Wink are high enough that for just a few dollars more one can have much better experience at the Driskill.