Reading Habits?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you reading in several books in parallel?

what type of books do you prefer? fiction? short stories? history? thrillers?

i'm in the middle of Why We Read Fiction: Theory of Mind And the Novel and also Constitutional: Stories by Helen Simpson, hence the subject of this thread.

I have two cookbooks going at all times that I read as novels. And one non-fiction piece, normally. Either on politics or agriculture.

I read cookbookas as if they are novels, too. And I read more than one book at a time frequently, usually mixing up fiction and nonfiction. Right now it's Evelyne Lever's biography of Marie Antoinette and Martin Amis' Yellow Dog. In the queue: Black Swan Green. For nonfiction I like history, politics, and travel/adventure, in fiction I prefer novels (both allegedly highbrow ones and stuff like Bridget Jones Diary),short stories and mysteries--I am an enormous fan of PD James, Ian Rankin, Ruth Rendell,etc. Thrillers bore me to death.

as a professor of literature i am naturally the most narrowly-read person on this site.

I'm currently engrossed in Dry Bean Production & Pest Management by the Central High Plains Dry Bean and Beet Group and Arid Legumes by Dr. N.D. Yadava and Dr. N.L. Vyas.

I usually have at least two books for pleasure going at the same time, one fiction and one non-fiction. I find that I'm reading much less than I used to before I discovered the internet. This, I'm sure, is a bad thing.

i lost interest in fiction - i mean i start a lot of books but get bored too quickly maybe because there are less and less subjects/plots i find interesting - even mysteries. On the other hand there is a newly discovered pleasure of reading short stories, and it's not only because of a short attention span...

In terms of literary genre my preference is literary fiction and crime fiction. Much of the crime fiction is written by European writers. When it comes to non-fiction I read a lot about food and history. I'll occasionally read a biography or a memoir.

Right now, I'm in the middle of Jane Smiley's Good Faith and Ruhlman's The Reach of a Chef. Plus Mangoes and Curry Leaves.

I read widely and indiscriminately, and excessively--these same words could be used to describe the sex life of my former incarnation :huh:

I usually have at least two going at once, and I revisit old books, sometimes more than once.

Usually only one novel or major non-fiction work at a time, but magazines, catalogues, cookbooks etc. before, during and after the big stuff. I might occasionally tuck in a pocketbook for reading on the bus while also having a larger tome on the go for bedtime reading.

Fly