Abbylovi

Ssam Bar

I guess it is open? From Thrillist:

Ssäm are Korea's version of the burrito -- or at least owner David Chang's version, since no one else seems to make them. Until now, Chang has served them at his flagship, Momofuku Noodle Bar, but only from 12-4pm, presumably to locals, the jobless, and people working in death/bottle service.

Now with Ssäm Bar -- which is kind of a classy, gourmet, röck-dötted take on Chipotle -- Chang's ready to sling ssäm to the masses. There are three basic options (Berkshire pork, chicken, or shitake mushrooms), which come wrapped in a flour tortilla along with pico de gallo substitutes like kimchee and coleslaw. While these $10 overstuffs are ideal for takeout, you could easily eat at the glossy wood bar, chasing your chow with Korean beer and chuckling over the losers who hang out in actual Chipotles.

it's open. i went today and had the #1, the Ssäm. pretty good, despite my elsewhere-voiced personal dislike of wrappy things. could have used more flavor, maybe a better hot sauce might have been left on the table, and maybe wet glutenous rice in a wheat tortilla isn't to my liking. but for $9 or whatever, it's good.

but guess what just opened around the corner on 13th? zabb.

but guess what just opened around the corner on 13th? zabb.

!!! The Zabb? Did you see a menu?

it looks like them, yes.

i have a menu in front of me.

I guess it is open? From Thrillist:

Ssäm are Korea's version of the burrito -- or at least owner David Chang's version, since no one else seems to make them. Until now, Chang has served them at his flagship, Momofuku Noodle Bar, but only from 12-4pm, presumably to locals, the jobless, and people working in death/bottle service.

Now with Ssäm Bar -- which is kind of a classy, gourmet, röck-dötted take on Chipotle -- Chang's ready to sling ssäm to the masses. There are three basic options (Berkshire pork, chicken, or shitake mushrooms), which come wrapped in a flour tortilla along with pico de gallo substitutes like kimchee and coleslaw. While these $10 overstuffs are ideal for takeout, you could easily eat at the glossy wood bar, chasing your chow with Korean beer and chuckling over the losers who hang out in actual Chipotles.

Funny, I was watching a Korean show and falafels wrapped in pita bread was called Arab ssam.

Walked past that space before I went away, and thought it looked like Momofuku. What do I win?

This is a sort of streamlined Momofuku, although it actually seems more spacious. Very simple menu right now - essentially pancake or "bun" or rice bowl, each with pork, chicken or mushrooms. I may be missing some frills, but that's the heart of it. You walk up to the counter to order, pay at the register, and grab a stool at the long communal table or one of the side tables (and they could fit more seats in, if they wished). One positive we noticed was plenty of staff wiping and cleaning the communal areas all the time, keeping it spotless.

We liked our buns, although the pork was a bit on the salty side. My memory: isn't the pork in the Momofuku buns sliced? Here it was pulled or shredded. Also, it would be good to have soda alternatives to Dr Pepper.

Plenty of seats, even weekend at peak-time. Go before the word gets out/everyone gets back from vacation.

My memory: isn't the pork in the Momofuku buns sliced? Here it was pulled or shredded. Also, it would be good to have soda alternatives to Dr Pepper.

According to Perlow's blog, they're using pork shoulder at Ssam Bar, whereas the original uses pork belly.

Does Ssäm Bar have its liquor license yet? I'm going on Friday eve but if it doesn't, I may first moisten my liver nearby.

It's selling Korean beer. I don't know if it intends to sell anything else: it's all pretty minimalist.

It's selling Korean beer. I don't know if it intends to sell anything else: it's all pretty minimalist.

when I was there, there was a fridge full of dr. pepper and no other soft drink.

Also, it would be good to have soda alternatives to Dr Pepper.

As I said - that ain't changed.