Well, tomorrow morning we leave for Burlington, VT. Connor's first year of college. I'm a swirling mixture of excitement for him, and profound sadness for me. Not a sobbing sadness of missing him, but a different kind of sadness, a yearning for his babiness, his childhood. Certainly, he's been past the cute huggable stage for years, and is quite inependent, but there is a finality to this, a launching into the real world. I know this sounds certifiable, but when I think of him leaving, I feel an actual physical tug on my left hip, which is where I wore him pretty much the first two years of his life..a pulling, an emptiness, a tearing away.

My most wonderful husband has booked us into the Sagamore on Lake George for the weekend, with the idea that it will be difficult to cry while getting a massage or sipping champagne on the veranda, or during sailing lessons. I very much apprecaite his efforts, and I suspect I'll be fine. But, I admit, I'm taking it a LOT harder than I thought I would. I'm not a hoovering parent....I have really straightforward, dynamic kids who tend to do quite well with me or without me...but still, dammit, it HURTS.

Yep, Dillon, going to be a junior in HS...and it will be nice to have him as an only child.

A frined just made a remark: there are mothers saying goodbye to sons going to Iraq...Vermont, count your blessings!

my second is off to Willy Pat and is living on campus. That makes us official empty nesters.

Man we're jumping for joy. Already have a week planned in St Maarten after the Spring Semester sets in. We're planning some travel before winter break also. What an opportunity to reconnect without the kids.

My twenty year ols is entering her junior year at TCNJ and has found a nice steady fella.

I missed the growing up, but it's neat having them grown up and finding their way about,

College semesters are unbelieveably short (14 weeks) and especially in Freshman year it seems every other weekend is some parent event.

Oh, and when they come home for, say, Thanksgiving, you'll be so annoyed at their wanting you to just leave them alone, you'll wish for school to recommence as soon as possible.

The four years fly by. It's after those four years that the really big issues of what's next and what kind of life do I want become the focus and sometimes the problem.

So I say, enjoy!

...but there is a finality to this, a launching into the real world.

Maybe there is and maybe there ain't. Believe me, it's waaaaaaaay too soon to say that.

A fact to which I and many of my friends can attest.

You only HOPE he's strong and healthy and responsible enough for this to be a "launching."

Trust me, withhold your sadness long enough to see if he stays launched.

And keep your fingers crossed.

And his room ready for reentry.

:P

...but there is a finality to this, a launching into the real world.

Maybe there is and maybe there ain't. Believe me, it's faaaaaaaar too soon to say that.

A fact to which I and many of my friends can attest.

You only HOPE he's strong and healthy and responsible enough for this to be a "launching."

Trust me, withhold your sadness long enough to see if he stays launched.

Oui, exacte. (See my post above.)

my second is off to Willy Pat and is living on campus. That makes us official empty nesters.

Too close.

If the kid can drop off his laundry or grab a meal on the weekends, etc, you're NOT empty nesters

If they still have stuff at your house, you are not empty nesters! Mine have long vacated the premises, but their stuff has not....*sigh*