2007 PGA Tournament

I agree, Miguel. The PGA only seems to fulfil its historical position as a major because of its timing, and of course its organising committee. In character, it is quite unlike the three "real" majors, and it is certainly the least spectator-worthy. I simply cannot believe they are selling tickets for it already :P

That is what I think of the British Open.

We had the PGA tournament in Louisville several years ago. It was awesome.

Everyone thinks the U.S. Open is the best because of how difficult they make the courses, but I think it is almost gimmicky with the hard as a rock greens, 10 feet wide fairways, and waist high rough. Next, they will have the players putting through windmills and clown-mouths.

Everyone thinks the U.S. Open is the best because of how difficult they make the courses, but I think it is almost gimmicky with the hard as a rock greens, 10 feet wide fairways, and waist high rough. Next, they will have the players putting through windmills and clown-mouths.

You make a valid point there. The borderline between making a course difficult and tricking it up is very fine.

I believe they now have it just about right in the Masters, although that first-day pin position on the par 3 6th is (in my view) just the wrong side of the borderline. I agree that many of the US Open courses have been too badly set up to be reasonably playable, but mainly in respect of hard and upturned greens. I believe that narrower fairways and longer rough are (for most courses) crucial to making courses difficult.

I believe they have got itclose to right over the past four or five years in the US Open. I think Winged Foot this year was the first time for years that the winner came in over par ? But in fact I liked Winged Foot - it was a tough but fair course.

The PGA this year, won at -18, looked just like any other tour event of the year, played on a course just like any other tour event of the year. And that's pretty characteristic of PGAs for the last ten or twenty years. I just can't see on what basis it earns the status of "a major".

You say the last PGA in Louisville was awesome. Well Tiger won that too, and he won it with a score of -18, and in that championship the top 50 in the field came in at par or better. I just can't see what (in golfing terms) is awesome about that :P

You say the last PGA in Louisville was awesome. Well Tiger won that too, and he won it with a score of -18, and in that championship the top 50 in the field came in at par or better. I just can't see what (in golfing terms) is awesome about that :P

Macro I think that what Ron meant about the Louisville PGA was that they had awesome parties with free booze (mint juleps!!!) and awesome looking girls wearing ridiculous hats.

What was awesome about the PGA in Louisville was seeing the best players in the world play in a major. Only in a major do you see a field like that.

I doubt I would change my tune if St. Andrews was in Louisville as I no longer live there. The British Open is just hit driver on every hole and let the ball roll five hundred yards over the dead grass to this thing that they refer to as the "green."

My favorite major is the Masters, which also succumbed to very low scores in relation to par for a few years until they modified the course. Sure, the PGA can yield double digit below par scores, but it does so because it avoids the ridiculous gimmicks used by the U.S. Open. Who wants to see a great players knock a wedge to within a foot of the pin and have the ball stop dead, only then to see it roll off the green and 100 yards down the fairway because they cut the hole into the side of a hill on the front of the green? That's not a test of golf, it's amusement park attraction.

What was awesome about the PGA in Louisville was seeing the best players in the world play in a major. Only in a major do you see a field like that.

Hmmm, I'm not convinced. So for example, who appeared in the PGA last month who is not appearing in the current Bridgestone ?

I doubt I would change my tune if St. Andrews was in Louisville as I no longer live there. The British Open is just hit driver on every hole and let the ball roll five hundred yards over the dead grass to this thing that they refer to as the "green."

I also think St Andrews is a crap golf course, but then they only play The Open there about every 10 years. The other courses (with maybe the exception of Royal St Georges) are nothing like your description.

My favorite major is the Masters, which also succumbed to very low scores in relation to par for a few years until they modified the course.

My favourite too, and you're right to note that it took a lot of careful course modification (or tricking up if you prefer) to make The Masters the most exciting golf competition in the world to watch.

Sure, the PGA can yield double digit below par scores, but it does so because it avoids the ridiculous gimmicks used by the U.S. Open.

So on this basis Augusta has it wrong ?

Who wants to see a great players knock a wedge to within a foot of the pin and have the ball stop dead, only then to see it roll off the green and 100 yards down the fairway because they cut the hole into the side of a hill on the front of the green?

I don't, but that's not the alternative. The alternative is narrower fairways, thicker rough, unraked bunkers and (in my view) less manicured greens. After all, who wants to watch great players yawning as they hit mid irons on to the green for two at long par fives, and then either two-putting or one-putting ? The great players are coming first or twentieth in a competition depending on how a prticular green was mown in the morning, or how many previous players happened to walk on their line. It's just boring.

I am too lazy to consult the list of players at Bridgestone and at the PGA, but if you do it you would know the answer to your question.

I can answer that - the World Golf Championships have a limited filed of something like 70 players. The PGA has a much deeper field and is rivaled only by the Players Championship.

I think the fair course setups the last few years at the PGA have raised its profile and appeal, as they've been pretty exciting tournaments.