Evelyn

Tiger Woods

Make that 5 in a row :P .

I'm not convinced that a smile is the best addendum to that :P Unless you have a vested interest in the Tiger, of course :P

From the perspective of the game of golf as an entertainment, I think domination is a bad thing. Butch Harman said a few weeks ago that if Tiger plays well in a competition, the only question is who comes second. That means that the PGA Tour is a much less competitive sport, which makes it less interesting to watch. If that starts to drop TV audiences, and thereby the prize money on offer, that will have a beneficiail long-term effect on the sport. But I'll be sorry to lose interest in the meantime.

]

I like and respect Tiger Woods, but I really don't want him to be that good for much longer.

I hear this argument all the time, especially concerning parity in baseball and football. Although I think many people want it to be true, I doubt it is. Golf has flourished since Tiger started dominated, because we all want to watch him and how good he is. Tennis is much more exciting when there is one or two dominant stars (Mac, Sampras, Agassi), rather a bunch of no-bodies popping up for a major or two. In football and baseball, everyone wants to see streaks and records broken. When a team is dominant, it creates the buzz. Parity sucks.

Tiger's current streak is exceptional. When was the last time a golfer won 5 in a row? Given the subtlties of golf, it's almost impossible. Tiger didn't take the lead until the last day -- it's not like he ran away from it from the start.

What Stone says is very true. Parity keeps the home team fans coming for as long as possible because they believe their team has a shot but when it comes to TV ratings, dominance sells. Tiger is the biggest draw golf ever had and having him at the top of the leader board makes Sunday hugely profitable.

The danger of course is what happens to the tournaments that Tiger doesn't play in.

I agree with Stone.

There has never, by the way, been anyone as good as Tiger in this sport. Please don't come now with little stories about Hogan, Nicklaus, Snead or whomever. They are nothing compared to this guy. And that is good for the sport. Plus he is black!

FWIW,

Anecdotal evidence suggests that play is significantly down at Golf Clubs around the country.

This compared to the rapid rise in construction and play during the time that Tiger initially entered the Tour.

FWIW,

Anecdotal evidence suggests that play is significantly down at Golf Clubs around the country.

It's the lousy food.

FWIW,

It's the lousy food.

You have me sir. I am at a complete and utter loss.

But that was fucking funny! :P :P

FWIW,

This compared to the rapid rise in construction and play during the time that Tiger initially entered the Tour.

Tennis went thru a similar rise and fall. Lots of pros changing careers in SoCal. Some tennis clubs in good areas selling their land to developers.

Please don't come now with little stories about Hogan, Nicklaus, Snead or whomever.

Jack Nicklaus was a dominating force in golf. That is beyond dispute. 73 tournament victories and 18 Majors, with second place finishes in 19 more majors, plus two U.S. Amateurs.

FWIW,

It's the lousy food.

You have me sir. I am at a complete and utter loss.

But that was fucking funny! :P :P

Well, then, get up and dance.

Fatguy.gif

Please don't come now with little stories about Hogan, Nicklaus, Snead or whomever.

Jack Nicklaus was a dominating force in golf. That is beyond dispute. 73 tournament victories and 18 Majors, with second place finishes in 19 more majors, plus two U.S. Amateurs.

Do you really want to do this? Tiger is 30 today.

yes, I am totally comfortable debating you on whether Jack Nicklaus was one of the greatest golfers of all time and a totally dominating force in his prime. What that has to do with Tiger''s age, I have no idea.

yes, I am totally comfortable debating you on whether Jack Nicklaus was one of the greatest golfers of all time and a totally dominating force in his prime. What that has to do with Tiger''s age, I have no idea.

Of course you know Ron. You are quoting Nicklaus career numbers. I am not saying Woods is "one of the the greatest," I am saying he is the greatest and you know it.