George Carlin said about euphemisms

Smug, greedy, well-fed white people have invented a language to conceal their sins.

Today I purchased a ticket for the Manitoba Opera production of The Magic Flute. The dropdown menu for "Salutation" had such gems as

Associate Chief Justice

Madam Justice

Mr. Justice

Ms. and Mrs.

Dr. and Mrs.

Dr. and Ms.

Mr. and Dr.

L'Abbe

The

etc. . .

If the shoe fits. . .

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eddie Izzard makes me laugh. Laugh out loud, laugh till it hurts, sometimes tears.   The Onion makes me laugh, but in a different way. It's more of the constant, quiet laughing and amusement. Girl M

The Old Saturday Night Live with John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner, Garrett Morris, Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray and all the rest of that group.   While I'm at it...Animal House and other films of

Kids in the hall, "where is Thierry?"

Posted Images

Today I purchased a ticket for the Manitoba Opera production of The Magic Flute. The dropdown menu for "Salutation" had such gems as

L'Abbe

How Canadian! :lol:

When I renewed my subscription to New Scientist on line, the "prefix" was a required-entry field on a form page; you could not proceed without choosing one. So now all of my subscription labels & correspondence from the publisher arrive addressed to "Sir ---- -----."

Today in the nail salon while waiting for my fingers and toes to dry I am watching CNN. A group of pundits is jawboning about the Middle East and North Africa. Richard Haas pops up on the screen and under his name the legend reads 'Council on Foreign Relations'. Next up is Bernard-Henri Levy, and his rather fabulous head of hair, identified as 'French Intellectual'.

L'Abbe

How Canadian! :lol:

When I renewed my subscription to New Scientist on line, the "prefix" was a required-entry field on a form page; you could not proceed without choosing one. So now all of my subscription labels & correspondence from the publisher arrive addressed to "Sir ---- -----."

I'd like to make myself "Madam", but I'm afraid people will get the wrong idea. . . .

My paternal grandfather was "Luang" (see second sentence in this wiki entry), and I think my paternal grandmother was, too, so maybe I can inherit it. Would that make me a Lady? Or a Duchess? If that chick on Real Housewives New York can do it, why can't I? On second thought, thinking of the second definition of "luang", I think I'll have have people refer to me as "The venerable. . . ". That sounds very politically correct since it's not gender specific!

Today in the nail salon while waiting for my fingers and toes to dry I am watching CNN. A group of pundits is jawboning about the Middle East and North Africa. Richard Haas pops up on the screen and under his name the legend reads 'Council on Foreign Relations'. Next up is Bernard-Henri Levy, and his rather fabulous head of hair, identified as 'French Intellectual'.

"Brainy French Geezer."

"French Philosophy Heartthrob."

"Former New Philosopher."

"Arielle Dombasle's Husband."

"Intellectual Rebel in Open-Necked Shirt."

I can think up captions for BHL all day. :)

"Brainy French Geezer."

"French Philosophy Heartthrob."

"Former New Philosopher."

"Arielle Dombasle's Husband."

"Intellectual Rebel in Open-Necked Shirt."

I can think up captions for BHL all day. :)

He's dumped Arielle and gone off with Daphne Guinness. Just to keep you up to date. ;)

"You and this LinkedIn user don’t know anyone in common"

It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me.

you have to be signed into linked in to see the entries

I was & still am. All I see is,

You and this LinkedIn user don’t know anyone in common

You can only view the profiles of users within your network. However, as you add connections, you may discover people you know in common

"You and this LinkedIn user don’t know anyone in common"

It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me.

you have to be signed into linked in to see the entries

I was & still am. All I see is,

You and this LinkedIn user don’t know anyone in common

You can only view the profiles of users within your network. However, as you add connections, you may discover people you know in common

you need a larger network, my friend

I laughed a lot while editing this:

Jaywalking

...I didn’t think an actual cop would come out of the car.

She emerged, all five foot four of her. She was young and looked like Jennifer Lopez playing a cop, which I found cool since this was the first New York cop I’d met. I wondered if she wanted me to do her taxes and that’s why she’d stopped me.

My daughter is pregnant, due July 1st, and she and her husband have been thinking over names. I heard her talking on the phone with a friend yesterday. "Well," she said, "'To Kill a Mockingbird' is suddenly so popular and we do want to keep up with the current stylish trends, but we don't want yet another obvious Atticus or Harper or Scout. We've decided we're going with Boo Radley Johnson."