ngatti

Pigs in the *Blanket*

Slow news week.

I thought the very idea of this article to be pretty lame.

Hey! Maybe a generation brought up on milkshakes burgers, mac-n-cheese, Hot Dogs and fries is coming into their own and their banquet food choices reflect that.

Random thought: This media obsession with all things culinary can be laughable.

The front page of the Times food section...Indeed.

I haven't read it but was slyly hoping it was an article about the better conditions that non-factory farmed hogs were receiving. :P

My sister-in-law pointed out years ago that no matter how elegant and sophisticated the other hors d'oeuvres are, it's the pigs in blankets that everyone goes for.

My sister-in-law pointed out years ago that no matter how elegant and sophisticated the other hors d'oeuvres are, it's the pigs in blankets that everyone goes for.

I've done more Bar/Bat/Bas Mitzvahs than I can count.

They are always a part of the kids buffet for any function. Not just Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. Yes a number of adults eat them--as well as the chicken fingers and pizza bagels.

Yes, sometimes they are requested for any number of adult cocktail parties, but this is nothing new.

BTW, I make my own. Foot long, skin on Hebrew National Kosher Franks. Slather with dusseldorf mustard, top with Ba-Tampte kraut and roll em up in puff pastery (Durkee's or Pillsbury). Brush with wash. Cook until brown and slice into one inch widths.

I haven't read it but was slyly hoping it was an article about the better conditions that non-factory farmed hogs were receiving. :P

It can get chilly on those farms . . .

:P :P :P

My husband's favorite party food. :P He's still talking about the PinBs that David Burke brought to a pigfest Drew threw several years ago.

A 1940s supposedly Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook that a friend gave me last week describes "pigs in the blanket" as being bacon wrapped around oysters.

Nope, that's angels on horseback. Or maybe devils on horseback? But not pigs in a blanket.

Edited to add: A quick search confirms: angels on horseback. The "devils" variation substitutes prunes for the oysters.

I've made these for my kids' birthday parties. They are hoovered up by kids and adults within 15 minutes of setting them out.

The version with puff pastry and sauerkraut sounds worth trying.

BTW, I make my own. Foot long, skin on Hebrew National Kosher Franks. Slather with dusseldorf mustard, top with Ba-Tampte kraut and roll em up in puff pastery (Durkee's or Pillsbury). Brush with wash. Cook until brown and slice into one inch widths.

reminds me of the version i used to make - found it in one of bread books - basically smoked sausages like kielbasa or kabanos pushed into a slab of good bread dough and baked - very nice...

I think this recipe might be timeless:

Pigs, sorry, "Piggies" in a Blanket with a certain twist.

I think it's charming!

So easy and nummy yummy good! :blink: :lol: :lol: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)