I was at a retro themed event recently and nobody wanted the piabs, or at least nobody wanted to be seen to want them. 

I was at Pernod-Ricard event recently, and I ate as many as possible.  I wasn't the only one.

When catering, these and the shrimp were the first to go.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally, a use for my pizza baking stone.

please use mini cocktail weiners, so that there's not a huge greasy mess ruining people's clothing. biscuit dough and bagel dough work well also dufour puff pastry sheets which you can buy at fairway

I suggest brushing the pastry with honey mustard, rather than regular mustard.

I thought I would be able to eat cheese and onion flavored crisps (potato chips) all day. Fortunately, at some point, I lost the taste for them.

That’s good, cuz they now charge a shit ton of money for them at TAK Room.

My laughably amateur test run (half topped with sesame seeds) was delicious but clearly needs improvement.

DcIWoit.jpg

ixCHPBI.jpg

Dufour puff pastry was easy to find, but within jogging distance (I am limited by work and home-healthcare obligations) the only cocktail-frank size dogs I could find besides Ball Park were Nathan's, which turned out to be more generic than I remembered anyway. The cocktail size probably kept the dogs from bleeding more oil; they all browned nicely, but I hadn't expected the drips.

I swear I put them seam side down, but they rocked and rolled. What dogs weren't loose in the puffed pastry were squeezed out by them; I need to roll it much more thinly. And maybe brushing with mustard wasn't enough -- should I brush with mustard and egg within?

I'm now testing perishability, leaving four wrapped on the counter and four wrapped in the fridge. Logistics will not allow me to bring them to the event hot.

It's been so long since I did this. I'll never go back to Pillsbury (though that dough product did have sticking power).

they look very nice. everything bagel spice from trader joe's would be fun on those and i've seen them topped with chopped pickles before baking. little smokies links would be fun instead of cocktail weiners

• Like 1

My laughably amateur test run (half topped with sesame seeds) was delicious but clearly needs improvement.

The cocktail size probably kept the dogs from bleeding more oil; they all browned nicely, but I hadn't expected the drips.

Could some of the dripping/oil be from the butter in the pastry dough?

How warm was the puff when you baked it? When I make sausage rolls, I bake from frozen (but they're filled with raw sausage meat - I don't know how well hot dogs freeze). If you don't want to freeze them, at least chill them in the fridge for a bit. I also use pre-rolled puff, so it's quite thin to start with. Does Trader Joe's have butter-based pre-rolled puff?

You may also have used too much mustard so you didn't get as tight a roll.

But if you send some of those my way, I'll do a taste test for you. My services are free! (If it were my wedding, I'd be delighted to have all of those, and I would claim the "ugly" ones)