Kale, Chard, Collard Greens, etc.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my husband makes a tomato sauce (canned san marzano tomatoes) with black olives to which he adds sauteed kale with red pepper flakes (peperoncino) and olive oil. he cooks the sauce a little longer (a few minutes) and it's one of my favorite winter pastas. it works with chard as well but i like the kale version a little more.

I don't have access to it right now, but in one of Jane Brody's early cookbooks she has a terrific beef/barley/kale/mushroom soup. Easy and delicious, especially this time of year. It's either in the Good Food Book or the Good Food Gourmet.

Megan

• 1 year later...

Something an old roommate (who was Dutch) used to make, and I really like it: Simmer kielbasa in water along with chard; makes the chard kind of smoky tasting too. Make mashed potatoes. Slice up chard and kielbasa and mix into potatoes. The metallic taste of the green works great with the fatty kielbasa and the soothing, creamy potatoes . . . Haven't made that in a while.

ETA: I meant to say KALE, not chard.

• 1 year later...

I usually just saute' it with some garlic, salt pepper and olive oil. Love it this way. But does anyone have ideas on how to prepare it during the warmer months? I notice that raw, it's rather bitter.

You can always add raisins and pine nuts to change it a little. Or use it with or instead of spinach in spanakopita or Lebanese spinach pies.* Lately, I've been taking the really huge leaves, blanching them, and using them instead of cabbage leaves for stuffing, with a filling of kasha, ricotta, and feta, then finishing in a cream sauce.

None of that is specifically summery, but I like them all. :)

*Finely chop the stems for this, too. Sometimes I'll just cook the chopped stems by themselves. In duck fat.

I make a Swiss Chard Pie...

Mix up your favorite savory pate brisée (I'll sometimes use duck fat or sometimes make a healthier olive oil dough). You need two, 9" rounds.

Filling (to your discretion - add or subtract ingredients):

a full bunch fresh chard, raw and chiffonade

1 yellow onion, sautéed

pound of mushrooms, sautéed

a single potato, boiled and cubed

a thinly sliced raw fennel bulb

a package of feta cheese, cubed

Whisk up two eggs and toss all the filling ingredients with raw eggs, pile onto the bottom pie crust, top with the other crust and crimp closed, punch a couple of holes, brush with egg and bake until done (30-ish minutes; I've never really timed it - just watched it until it looked nicely browned).

I don't make this in a pie dish, but on a large, flat pizza sheet.

Mix up your favorite savory pate brisée (I'll sometimes use duck fat or sometimes make a healthier olive oil dough). You need two, 9" rounds.

1 yellow onion, sautéed

Whisk up two eggs and toss all the filling ingredients with raw eggs, pile onto the bottom pie crust, top with the other crust and crimp closed, punch a couple of holes, brush with egg and bake until done (30-ish minutes; I've never really timed it - just watched it until it looked nicely browned).

This sounds like heaven, but I'd neet some meat in here.

1 yellow onion, sautéed

This sounds like heaven, but I'd neet some meat in here.

maybe some sausage or prosciutto. something that won't get lost with the chard but that will complement it