Will he have a car?

I would say he should definitely go to Alma. They have a bar, although it is essentially a counter in the dining room.

Lucia's is another good choice for a bar where you can read and have a good meal.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i'll be in the twin cities in the beginning of november for a few days. a couple of meals are being organized by the people who are facilitating my visit but there will be 2-3 other meals free with fr

you will be pleased to know that the post-talk dinner with my hosts will be at a thai restaurant. will try to make it to either barbette's or ike's (if not both) for lunch/brunch.

Beer cheese soup. Pecan crusted walleye. Minnesota hotdish.   Get back to Boulder before it's too late.

i was going to say alma too. 112 eatery is another possibility, but it's loud in there (if he's looking to read in peace). perhaps the counter at sea change, but only if he likes eating mediocre, over-priced seafood while a gigantic poster of arthur miller glowers at him.

Hmong Village at 1001 Johnson Blvd, St Paul vs. Hmong Market at 217 Como Ave, St. Paul.

If I only have time to visit one, which has better food, in general? Which has greater variety? Micromanage visit to MSP, please.

The one on Como is the only one I've been to. I like it.

Sounds good to me!

Have you ever gone to the Wednesday evening food truck park in St. Paul? It's on my list (or the Mears Park and Rice Park ones). Hopefully it'll be open in the evenings, and not just lunch.

Have you ever gone to the Wednesday evening food truck park in St. Paul? It's on my list (or the Mears Park and Rice Park ones). Hopefully it'll be open in the evenings, and not just lunch.

Nope. Since St Paul sort of closes its doors in the evening I'm not sure about the trucks being around much past late lunch. But, really, I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Punch Neapolitan Pizza--went to the one on E. Hennepin. It wasn't what I was expecting (order at the counter, then sit down and your food is brought to you--but you used to have to pick up your food at the counter, too). The crust rocked, but I didn't think the fresh mozzarella they used was very good. Should've requested mozzarella di bufula, but what did I know?

Emily's Lebanese Deli--ordered take out of 1/2 chicken kebab and the spinach pie. This place has been on my "must try" list for years, but there are always too many other places to visit, so I end up skipping it. I will very likely be skipping it in the future, too. It's not terrible, but it's not worth wasting one of my precious MSP meals on it.

Al's Breakfast--I had my usual (eggs benedict, hash browns, wally blue with real maple syrup--all shared). Except for one annoyance, it was just like a remember it. I'd go back tomorrow, but I promised we'd try something new (probably Hell's Kitchen).

Holy Land--we went to the main branch. I had the Holy Land chicken--hated it. It's all chicken breast. Blech! The special Ramadan buffet had a large-ish variety. I got to try a little that I mooched off someone else's plate. There was a grilled chicken that looked like tandoori that was especially good (and it was dark meat!), and the lamb was also tasty. We left with a crap load of pita chips and a few of their dips. Unfortunately, no garlic dip and when we went back the next morning, it still wasn't replenished.

Filfillah--We went on the way in to MSP (at 4:30 despite having a 6:00 dinner appointment). I had chicken schwarma pide. Mmmm. The Iskender is also quite good. I did notice that the meat doesn't seem to be seasoned, and most of the flavour is from everything else, but I'd still love to have Filfillah closer to me. I miss Turkish food!

We got take out on the way out of MSP for the ride back. This time just plain cheese pide. I'll have to remember that the plain cheese is rather flavourless, but the bread makes up for it. I love their bread.

We didn't end up going to Hell's Kitchen because we went to the Minneapolis Farmers Market instead and bought a crap load of stuff. Our big cooler was filled with greens that are difficult to come by here, plus we got cilantro with roots! Pork corn balls, here we come!

Regarding the Hmong Marketplace on Como, we did go on the first day we were in MSP. We met my friends at 6, but there wasn't much selection (the place was pretty empty, with a lot of empty stalls) so we left for On's Kitchen. My friend's Hmong friends told her that most of the good vendors have left for Hmong Village on Johnson (?), and Hmong Village would have been a better choice. Oh well. On's Kitchen was a good choice. We had har mok, grilled pork neck salad, massaman curry, green curry, some sort of chicken with mango (for the less adventurous) and tom kha gai. Our favourites were the har mok and the grilled pork neck salad. My mother and I thought the curries sucked. Too sweet, and too watery (the watery-ness is a style, I know, but it's not the style we prefer). No yum pla dook foo on the menu, but when we talked to On after, she told us which of her other menu items are similar. Next time.

We came back to Canada with a couple of hard-sided coolers and a couple of soft-sided coolers full of food. Cheeses, sausages, those greens from the farmer's market, etc etc. We also went to Sudyk's at got some St. Germain (on sale for only $31!). I wish I could have brought back more alcohol (we also picked some up some wine from Costco) because the prices were pretty great. Hendrick's was only $20, for example. In retrospect, I should have bought more because I wasn't checked at the border, anyway.

Can't wait to go back. I've missed my annual MSP trips, so I have some making-up to do!

Oh, Pumphouse Creamery's salted caramel pecan (or something like that) ice cream is really good. Really really good.

• 3 months later...

Good meal Joan's In the Park.

Roasted beets with peas, pistachios, and goat cheese. Scallops with shitakes and an under-seasoned squash puree for me. She had perfectly-cooked salmon filet with spicy broccolini. We shared a site of Brussels sprouts with honey, walnuts, and apricots.

Wine prices are very good. The place is very small but comfortable and stays pretty quiet. Good service.

• 1 month later...

It's better than Luci Ancora which is essentially at the same corner. I've had a few good meals at Luci but I think it can be pricey for what it is. I think part of that is I have tended to order their specials rather than off the menu.

my dining companion noted that about the other restaurant too.

it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good either. thanks to the weather there were only two of us at the restaurant (which is apparently normally bursting at the seams). i was encouraged by the fact that they make their own pasta but the pappardelle was overcooked and over-sauced to the degree that it was soggy by the time i'd taken my fifth bite.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll be in Minneapolis next week for a conference. I'm not sure how many free meals I'll have but if I do, where should I eat? I'm hoping to eat something that isn't really good/available in NYC. A quick scan of this thread makes it seem like Hmong is the way to go. Yes?