Two new places. Well, one new and the other is probably just new to me.

Rotisserie Brasa was reviewed in the City Pages this week (click). Stopped in for carry-out last night and then headed out to a picnic table on the south shore of Harriet Island with a bottle of wine for a sunset meal. I'm not as head over heels in love with the place as Moskowitz Grumdahl seems to be. The food was of good quality and prepared well. I have no real complaint. But this place is essentially Kipp's Rotisserie chicken or other meat-and-threes that you see in various cities.

We had the pork, chicken, cole slaw, beans and rice, and fried yucca. The beans and rice needed some bean liquor or other sauce to pull it together. The pork was tender and had some nice crisped bits. Cole slaw was nice and light to cut through the rest of the meal. I'd go back but probably not as a destination meal.

Today, for lunch, I went over to Big Daddy's Saturday Barbecue at University and Dale in Saint Paul. The place is only open on Saturdays and, at least during the summer, they are set up outside in the driveway next to the building with a big grill and a counter where you order.

I ordered a half-chicken, half-rack of ribs, and some potato salad. The meats were grilled to perfection and were served dry with a little boat of sauce you could put on yourself. They separated the ribs and cut the chicken into pieces which makes it much easier to eat sitting on the hood of your car. The sauce was tomato-based and quite tangy (KC-style?) and seemed a perfect match to the char on the meats. I'd go back to this place for a big lunch with friends. The staff working and behind the counter was friendly and seemed to be enjoying their work day immensely.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i'll be in the twin cities in the beginning of november for a few days. a couple of meals are being organized by the people who are facilitating my visit but there will be 2-3 other meals free with fr

you will be pleased to know that the post-talk dinner with my hosts will be at a thai restaurant. will try to make it to either barbette's or ike's (if not both) for lunch/brunch.

Beer cheese soup. Pecan crusted walleye. Minnesota hotdish.   Get back to Boulder before it's too late.

Decent lunch at Kabobs on Portland in Bloomington (mentioned upthread). Curry of ground lamb and sweet peas with rice and garlic naan. Warm food for a chilly day. More than I could finish for $10.

Close enough to the office that I should go there more often.

Edited to add that the restaurant interior is totally charmless so the place is better for carry out. But today I sat down at a table to eat and read over lunch and it was a particularly odd sensation to be finishing up my meal and hear Nick Cave's Do You Love Me? start playing on their sound system.

• 3 months later...

Good meal last night at Barbary Fig on Grand. Seating is upstairs in an old house. Comfortable and quirky with heat-shrink plastic over the windows and a collection of small electric heaters pointed in various directions.

Started with Brik which is a square pillow of pastry (filo) stuffed with decent canned tuna and fried in olive oil. Served with an excellent house-made harissa that was fruity and spicy.

For mains we stuck with the specials: leg of lamb with figs and orange served over couscous; and sea scallops with capers and olives with polenta. Both were quite good but in hindsight I should have tried the rabbit. Not a huge portion but satisfying for $14.

Some sort of dry N.African red that we decent and cheap.

It was short $55 for two including tip.

• 2 months later...

Good meal last night at Everest on Grand. Daal with roti to start and then shared two vegetarian curries: kauli (cauliflower with potato and peas) and kabuli chana (garbanzo beans with onion and tomato). I realized afterwards that I hadn't gotten any of their excellent condiments. Looking on their website, I'm now thinking that you have to order them as an extra.

Also noticed in their menu that the Yak meat they serve comes from a MN farm near Cold Spring where they have a herd of 60 grass fed Tibetan Yaks (website). Haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for the meat.

Had dinner at Fasika, an Ethiopian restaurant. $9.95 for the lamb wot. It came with two injera breads and some poor excuse for a salad. I mean really, leave it off. :D Food here is definitely homestyle, meaning they don't skim the fat. It's on Snelling avenue just north of University.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

It's not really worthy of its own thread but Bangkok Thai Deli has great Thai food that is pretty cheap.

The "deli" is really the restaurant in food court of a sort of SE Asian mall that is anchored by Bangkok Thai Supermarket (315 University in St Paul).

Extensive photo menu with lots of items you'll recognize from other Thai places. They also have boat noodles but we didn't try them. (They don't have a website or a menu posted.)

Service was pretty good and the food had much cleaner and brighter flavors than most other Thai food I've had in the twin cities. We'll probably put it on the list of preferred places for carry out and will try to explore the menu a bit more.

Two orders of spring rolls, chicken with thai basil, and tom yum fed three was less than $30.

he lives!

(have we not gone there together? apparently, the main chef/cook has decamped for a spot further up university--just past snelling.)

We haven't been to this one together. I don't think I've ever overeaten Thai food with you.

I'll have to investigate this information about the chef/cook. West of Snelling?

And yes, I do live.

ETA: I found it. On's Thai Kitchen at 1613 University.

he lives!

(have we not gone there together? apparently, the main chef/cook has decamped for a spot further up university--just past snelling.)

We haven't been to this one together. I don't think I've ever overeaten Thai food with you.

I'll have to investigate this information about the chef/cook. West of Snelling?

And yes, I do live.

ETA: I found it. On's Thai Kitchen at 1613 University.

It's been a while since I've made it over that way. Thanks for bumping this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

it seems i will be spending the next two weeks or so near the mall of america, 1200 east 78th. the rest of the crew is very excited to try every chain in the mall. do i have any hope of finding better than "bubba gump shrimp" without a car?

also anything good for lunch around the cathedral of st paul?

you're fucked without a car.

lunch around the cathedral is good though: little szechuan is nearby (even though it's gone downhill it's not bad). also thai food at the bangkok deli. big daddy's bbq. lots of hmong/vietnamese places. all on university ave.

it seems i will be spending the next two weeks or so near the mall of america, 1200 east 78th. the rest of the crew is very excited to try every chain in the mall. do i have any hope of finding better than "bubba gump shrimp" without a car?

also anything good for lunch around the cathedral of st paul?

You can take the light rail downtown. 112 Eatery is one of the best restaurants in the cities. I'd stop by and sit at the bar. India Cafe is right down the street from the MOA.

Take the light rail and stop at Cedar/Riverside. You have a choice of Kilimanjaro Cafe, Red Sea restaurant, and Keefer Court chinese bakery/restaurant.