Katie Couric

I have not had time or desire to tune her in yet. Here is what Robert Philpot of the Star Telegram says.

Her earnest tone is a fitting segue from Bob Schieffer’s folksy demeanor; for the past year and a half, the CBS Evening News has seemed to be trying to tuck you in, even as it opens with reports as distressing as Lara Logan’s piece about the Taliban gaining renewed strength in Afghanistan.

But then the most regular news program I get is Jon Stewart, and that is not real news. But he is better than the Faux News Channel.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrea Peyser was not so generous. Then then again, Peyser is a bit of a [what's that word the Brits use a lot but we don't?].

It was not just Katie's legs. Or her clothes. Or her unnervingly high-pitched and overmodulated voice, more appropriate for a weather girl in Tampa than a national broadcaster. It was all these things together - and more. At the end of the show, Katie struggled with how she should sign off. She played clips of Walter Cronkite intoning, "That's the way it is." And Dan Rather ending his broadcast with "Courage."

But then, she played Ted Knight as bumbling Ted Baxter in "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." And Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy in "Anchorman."

It was supposed to be funny.

Trouble is, those fake guys were better anchors than Katie was last night.

I would appreciate more reports from Lara Logan.

I watched CBS news for the heck of it tonight after around 10 years, I guess.

She's a good newsreader--no mistakes at all, but in a 1/2 hr show Couric is probably on camera less then 10 mins. But she does have a nice way about her...lullaby...sleep.

What bugs me is the sensationalist/entertainment delivery of the news on the regular channels. Here is Katie walking in front of camera, showing her famous legs while interviewing x, sitting on her desk showing same legs (which appear quite plump, but that's neither here nor there, but they are of some import apparently for the producers), and we all have to join in and be happy and be glad that Couric is disclosing details about her life (a story on cervical cancer just would not be complete without details about HER own daugthers).

Then there was Rush Limbaugh.

Oh, the most self-indulgent bit: Interviews showing the surrounding studio lighting during interviews that are there for recording purposes. Now, you see, say,politician with Couric under tv lights and recording devices to what end?--make it more real??? Post-modern story within another (gag) story?

• 5 months later...

I was tempted to fuck up the Chodorow discussion, where Ron writes:

"I mean would a serious news organization like CBS ever tap someone as unqualified as Katie Couric to anchor the nightly news?"

But I see we have a thread already.

Why? It may well be a lousy show, but her qualifications look to me about the same as Brian Williams's. A university degree, followed by a whole bunch of TV correspondent gigs. She just did a lightweight show for the last few years. Does that disqualify her?

I was tempted to fuck up the Chodorow discussion, where Ron writes:

"I mean would a serious news organization like CBS ever tap someone as unqualified as Katie Couric to anchor the nightly news?"

But I see we have a thread already.

Why? It may well be a lousy show, but her qualifications look to me about the same as Brian Williams's. A university degree, followed by a whole bunch of TV correspondent gigs. She just did a lightweight show for the last few years. Does that disqualify her?

The nightly news has changed so much since its heyday and has become so irrelevant and unwatched that the fact that her background is in discussing the new swimsuits for the season does not, in fact, disqualify her at all. I just don't think that being a host of the Today Show qualifies as having been in the "news business."

I was referring to her years in news at CNN and NBC before the Today show, but I admit I hadn't realised - until I looked it up - that she'd been anchoring the Today show for some fifteen years.

You understand, I feel very strongly about this whole issue. :)

I just wish she would drop the demure little girl, modest downturned face with upturned puppy dog eyes routine. She loudly objected early on in her career to being called "pert". Why is she now settling for "coy"?

What was the name of the pretty blonde that Katie Couric replaced on the Today Show? Am I dreaming this? IIRC, Katie, er, manipulated that situation to her advantage. She was the "accessible", "everywoman" replacing the blonde bombshell.