• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

that and if you really think that TK really was the first one to ever put tuffle oil on popcorn your an idiot. Shit i was doing that like 6 years ago in cullinary school......so wait maybe he stole that from me and my dorm room days!!!!!!! I mean were not talkign O and P here we are talkign truffle oil instead of butter on popcorn.

that and if you really think that TK really was the first one to ever put tuffle oil on popcorn your an idiot. Shit i was doing that like 6 years ago in cullinary school......so wait maybe he stole that from me and my dorm room days!!!!!!! I mean were not talkign O and P here we are talkign truffle oil instead of butter on popcorn.

I have always liked the way you think.

• 2 months later...

This news came into my inbox today via Dish

Melting Butter

Ryan Poli, the exec chef who had creative freedom at Butter (130 S. Green St.; 312-666-9813), has left to open a restaurant in Scottsdale, Arizona. “They [his new partners] approached me about eight months ago in Scottsdale, and I was reluctant because I didn’t know much about Scottsdale,” says Poli, a Chicago native. “But the city is growing immensely; there is such a demand for great restaurants.” Poli says that before he moves to Arizona, he is “probably going off to Europe for four months to visit friends and get inspired.” And what of Butter? The West Loop spot’s former sous-chef, Lee Wolen (Moto), moves into the top slot and promises to keep Butter’s New American cuisine intact. “This is the chance any young chef waits for,” he says. “And I plan to make it count.”

Dont anybody worry about the kicthen at butter. They are in the very very capable hands of my good friend and someone i respect as a cook(wich in this business is truly hard to come by) Lee wolen. He has a very good palate and a wonderfull repetoir in his pocket. i imagine the level of food will not only stay the same but teh bar will be lifted. You can expect bold bright flavors from him from his love of asian cuisine. Something that the food at butter lacked to be quite ohnest. It will be a refreshing change of the guard. There is nothing to be concerned about. I challenge anyone to go and try to prove me wrong.

On top of that the front of teh house has a new general manager to really try to support the food better then it was before. I expect good things in the future.

David -- is Butter participating in the opening reception for the IACP* conference coming up in mid-April (the reception itself is Wednesday, April 11, at the Merchandise Mart)? If not, I'll try to come in while I'm in town for it. Maybe I can get Nicko from ChefTalk to join me. Hope to see you, in any case. :lol:

*International Association of Culinary Professionals

Dont anybody worry about the kicthen at butter. They are in the very very capable hands of my good friend and someone i respect as a cook(wich in this business is truly hard to come by) Lee wolen. He has a very good palate and a wonderfull repetoir in his pocket. i imagine the level of food will not only stay the same but teh bar will be lifted. You can expect bold bright flavors from him from his love of asian cuisine. Something that the food at butter lacked to be quite ohnest. It will be a refreshing change of the guard. There is nothing to be concerned about. I challenge anyone to go and try to prove me wrong.

On top of that the front of teh house has a new general manager to really try to support the food better then it was before. I expect good things in the future.

This is good news. The food there is on par with the best in town. Really it only needs to revamp the wine list to match the excellent food. The decor, atmosphere, and service are all very fine. I really enjoyed my meal there.

• 1 year later...
Just heard from a friend in the Midwest that Butter has closed. :(

This kind of stuff makes me so CRAZY. Worse than an annoyance. I read wonderful things someone's posted for a couple of years and then just when I start thinking of getting on a plane to go try it out, it's gone. What is with this industry? So where in Scottsdale is the chef? I've lived in a dinky little town, 14-15,000 people, for what, guess 37 years. All but a couple of locally owned restaurants are still here since I moved here. None particularly good, none particularly bad. Can't spend $100/meal. Can't make reservations at any of them. Michel Richard's Citronelle was ten minutes away but went there rarely for dinner, mostly lunch. Maybe this belongs in the complaining/bragging thread. Oh, and yesterday they announce Arnold and Maria just closed escrow on 25 acres here. Guess that goes in the celebrity thread. Or will, sooner or later.

Just heard from a friend in the Midwest that Butter has closed. :(

I love it when I look prescient.

I had a very good meal there recently thanks in no small part to Chef Santos, but I have a feeling that the place is not going to be the same in coming months due to key personnel departures.
So where in Scottsdale is the chef?

The Scottsdale thing fell through. Poli is coming back to Chicago and will be the Chef at Perennial. From Chicago Magazine's Dish newsletter:

Chef Ryan Poli, who had a huge following at Butter, has returned to Chicago to become the chef de cuisine at Perennial (1800 N. Lincoln Ave.), the upcoming spot from Rob Katz and Kevin Boehm (Boka, Landmark). “Things just sometimes don’t work out the way you want them to,” Poli says of his recent jaunt to Phoenix, Arizona. “So I decided to come back to Chicago. It’s where my passion is.” Poli also spent about a year interning in various standouts in Spain, including El Celler de Can Roca with Joan and Jordi Roca in Girona. “In Europe, you just show up and say, ‘I’m here to do a stage. Do you have room for me?’” Poli says. . . . Anyway, Perennial: Turns out Boehm and Poli have the same hairstylist, who persuaded the two to connect. Next thing you know, Poli is in Perennial’s kitchen, joining the executive chef, Giuseppe Tentori, in tinkering over playful inventions such as a surf-and-turf appetizer of ahi tuna and a New York strip carpaccio—and introducing a dish he learned in Spain: “inside-out flan,” a purée of white chocolate flan with ginger ice cream, warm passion fruit jelly, and caramelized pumpkinseeds. Keep an eye on this one.

Good Thinking