Dessert, the Sweet Spot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

I have a new love: Dorie Greenspan's meringue-based buttercream (from Baking: From My Home to Yours) -

Combine 1 c/200g sugar and 4 egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until the mixture is too hot for a finger and looks like shiny marshmallow cream. Off heat, whip until cool and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in 12 oz/340g sweet room temp butter, a chunk at a time. When it's all in beat at medum high speed for 6-10 minutes until the icing is smooth, thick and glorious. Gradually beat in 3 T or so flavoring - I used a teaspoon of vanilla since the audience includes kids.

This is much less fiddly (for me, anyway) than pouring hot syrup into beaten eggs. It spreads and pipes like a dream. For a grownup version, I'd like to try cultured butter or good French stuff instead of plain old Plugra.

Pictures of the Spideycake later...

1175753250_b0862b09a2.jpg

I was very happy with this cake. All components are Dorie's: cocoa buttermilk cake, dark chocolate pastry cream, the buttercream described above. It wasn't too rich or too sweet, and the flavors/textures worked well together.

Liza and her mister threw a wonderful party for His Royal Blondness - great food, delightful company.