Dessert, the Sweet Spot

I've turned marmalade haters into marmalade lovers with this little number...

Marmalade cake

1 1/2 cups cake flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened

3/4 cup milk

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup marmalade (tangerine or blood orange are my favorites)

Sift the flour, b. powder, sugar, and salt. Add the butter and most of the milk and beat for 2 minutes. In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the rest of the milk and the vanilla, and beat into the flour mixture in 3 additions, about 30 seconds for each addition. Turn into a buttered 9" cake pan, and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Spread the marmalade on top as soon as the cake comes out. Try to let the cake cool a bit before cutting; best enjoyed while still warm. (although cold leftovers for breakfast with a cup of tea are mighty fine too.) Particularly nice with fresh berries on the side.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

I bought way too many berries at the greenmarket last week. So I made a tart filled with lemon mascarpone cream and covered with strawberries and blueberries. It's very rustic looking but tastes wonderful.

Made Dorie Greenspan's shortcake recipe yesterday to go with some of the boatload of fresh strawberries I got at the market yesterday. I wasn't happy with the shortcake, the dough seemed too dry and the cakes were dry and didn't rise as much as I wanted. I hurried the recipe which may have been my problem.

I'm delving into the King Arthur Flour whole wheat baking book, and need need need to make the dark and dangerous cinnamon buns. The recipe calls for 1/2 c dried potato flakes or 3 tbls potato flour: may I substitute, and with what?

Shall start the pre-ferment for a cinnamon spiral bread tonight.

I believe you can substitute corn starch one-for-one with potato flour. In other words, three tbsps corn starch.

I'm finally about to put some clafoutis in the oven.

yup one for one substitute.

here's a handy thickener substitution chart

thickeners

I haven't tasted my clafoutis yet but it looked and smelled delish coming out of the oven. It's chillin' right now and I think I'll take it out of the fridge when I get home so it comes a little closer to room temp before I serve it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post that I was a little underwhelmed with my clafoutis. Maybe I'm just an American pig-dog, with an addiction to sugar to which no resident of the Perigord would ever succomb, but I thought it wasn't sweet enough. Maybe my cherries just weren't that good. Next time if I use Paula's recipe I'll add a bit more sugar, unless my cherries are very very sweet.

Another care package, another baking day.

Roasted banana bread with peanut butter chips

Lippy's brownies (these were terrific)

Cathy's brittle with cashews (can't get enough)

Oatmeal-butterscotch cookies

Pistachio shortbread (from Tish Boyle, not the Michelle Obama recipe -- Tish's is much better)

Seth, do you do Paula's truc of rolling the pitted cherries in a little sugar and freezing them for a few hours so they don't weep into the custard?

I did... even though I didn't pit the cherries. It's one of the oddities of the recipe. She tells you of this trick to deal with pitted cherries, then instructs you to do it whether you pit the cherries or not. Knowing it had no function for my non-pitted cherries, but seeing no harm in it, I did it anyway.

My pie made from the Red Jacket sour cherries was so good! I made a blueberry pie today.

I've been meaning to post that I was a little underwhelmed with my clafoutis. Maybe I'm just an American pig-dog, with an addiction to sugar to which no resident of the Perigord would ever succomb, but I thought it wasn't sweet enough. Maybe my cherries just weren't that good. Next time if I use Paula's recipe I'll add a bit more sugar, unless my cherries are very very sweet.

I am sorry you didn't like the clafoutis. I don't like desserts that are too sweet. I really dislike American icing on cakes. It could have been your cherries. I always try a few before I cook with them to make sure they are sweet enough. If not, then I do add a little extra sugar.

• 2 weeks later...

Excess peaches (a mixture of white and yellow) made into a pie. The crust came out perfect, tender and flaky and tasty, due to the butter/lard combo. But the filling, while deliciously peachy and fine, needs a little extra something. I don't know what it is.