Dessert, the Sweet Spot

Show was of course part promo for DeMasco's book. Not really coincidence, she could have been on for any kind of dessert. I'm hoping the gingersnaps she used for her crust are in the book -- getting a copy was great!

Winner has her own Web site, Blue Ribbon Baking. THAT's the part that galls, because that's where we were all set up.

As for baking the filling separately -- I'm sure I've seen that in several books/articles, where they give advice for preventing soggy crusts. For things like custard pies -- which these basically are, after all.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

As for baking the filling separately -- I'm sure I've seen that in several books/articles, where they give advice for preventing soggy crusts. For things like custard pies -- which these basically are, after all.

That's the way I always made coconut custard pie. I don't remember where I learned the technique.

Oh yes, and at the end of the show, when That Martha Lady was wrapping up, she asked who had made the pomegranate meringue pie. When the maker ID'd herself, TML told her first how interesting and unusual and delicious the pie was -- then proceeded to mortify the poor woman by telling her how it would have been so much better if it had been set. The maker tried to explain (on camera) that she had made it just that morning, but TML continued to berate her. That bitch (TML, not the maker).

If anyone watches, please let me know if:

1. When they pan the pie tables, you can see one with whole almonds around the edge, a pile of coconut flakes in the middle, and a pattern of white triangles (young coconut flesh, not in the recipe below) anywhere. I never saw where mine was.
  2. They edit out the bitchy berating of the pomegranate lady -- it came just before the end.
Do NOT let me know if you see me.

I watched. Didn't see you. Didn't see your pie. The nasty comments about the pomegranate pie, were, of course, edited out of the final show.

That's the way I always made coconut custard pie. I don't remember where I learned the technique.

That's a surprise to me, I can't think of one baking book that's mentioned that technique. Can you recall what book or books teach that? (I'd like to look them up)

Wendy, all I know is that's the way I do it. Maybe I made it up, but I don't think so. I probably read it in a magazine or newspaper article many years ago. I used to make coconut custard pie for the father-in-law and I did it to avoid the soggy bottom.

i told you to make a dried fruit dump pie.

I know, but I had gained the privilege of admission by telling them about the kosher inspiration of my sweet potatoes with coconut milk instead of butter, and while they may bait and switch, my principles won't let me do the same.

Seth: I thought Eater hates us? Or at least they don't appreciate Wilfrid?

and believe me, the sweet potato/coconut milk powder concoction is FABULOUS!!! with a capital F.

still dreaming about it a year later.

That's a surprise to me, I can't think of one baking book that's mentioned that technique. Can you recall what book or books teach that? (I'd like to look them up)

Wendy, all I know is that's the way I do it. Maybe I made it up, but I don't think so. I probably read it in a magazine or newspaper article many years ago. I used to make coconut custard pie for the father-in-law and I did it to avoid the soggy bottom.

I have a vivid memory of seeing that method in Joy of Cooking when I was quite young. With the old line-drawing illustration showing the steps.

I have a vivid memory of seeing that method in Joy of Cooking when I was quite young. With the old line-drawing illustration showing the steps.

That's it, Pingarina! I just checked in my c. 1970 Joy of Cooking and there it was!

I know I've seen that technique in a book, was it Purdy's "Perfect Pie" or perhaps Yard's "Secrets of Baking?"