Dessert, the Sweet Spot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

soysauce bavarian pie?
It's scary. It's like you're me and I'm you.
except, you managed to post the photo

And I used caps. Other than that, though...

Suzanne's pie looks seriously good. But I am concerned that someone stole one of her almonds.

soysauce bavarian pie?
It's scary. It's like you're me and I'm you.
except, you managed to post the photo

And I used caps. Other than that, though...

Suzanne's pie looks seriously good. But I am concerned that someone stole one of her almonds.

probably the mental case who made the soysauce pie

#

SO-O-O good to see Marjorie AGAIN!

I've missed her! She was always so good baking cakes for Rosie on her show!

Rosie used to call her all the time to make cakes! She is one of Rosie's favorites! I'm surprised you didn't know her when she stood up!

She an excellent baker! Way to go Marjorie!

Posted by: Debbie Hudson | November 19th, 2009 at 12:57 am

Yeah, mine is #44. They must have knocked off the almonds when they were transporting them. <_< What you can't tell is that the caramel that I glued the almonds on with required a hacksaw to cut through it. :blush: Well, at least I know it was there, and considered "good" enough for its own shot. :cool: Thanks for the link.

And please don't laugh at the soy sauce pie. That was my friend Pat's.

But it's all I can do not to puke at the the comments. Well, what's that H.L. Mencken quote? "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Yeah, mine is #44. They must have knocked off the almonds when they were transporting them. <_< What you can't tell is that the caramel that I glued the almonds on with required a hacksaw to cut through it. :blush: Well, at least I know it was there, and considered "good" enough for its own shot. :cool: Thanks for the link.

And please don't laugh at the soy sauce pie. That was my friend Pat's.

But it's all I can do not to puke at the the comments. Well, what's that H.L. Mencken quote? "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

please tell us what soysauce pie tastes like

How would I know? The panel of judges was supposed to taste everything, not the audience. We were there starving from the time we all got on line outside (I'll bet some people were there waaaaaaaay before noon, for a 12:30 arrival time) until the whole miserable thing let out at about 4:30. Oh, yes, they did give us bottles of water. <_<

But if you like, I can ask her for the recipe. :)

I'd love to try a slice of your pie Susan, it looks yummy to me! I've made that mental note to try the coconut with sweet potato. I love tips like that! You are so right about the winning pie................she added toffee bits to a pecan pie..........you've GOT TO BE KIDDING!! I'm surprised she didn't add chocolate chips and win with that....

I looked up your technique in The Joy of Cooking. I just inherited it (the book) this August and I gave it to my hubby who likes to recreate recipes of his childhood. I should have given it a better look before passing it on. It's got several really interesting baking recipes! I was surprised by the pecan pie with nothing but the creamy filling in it. And the coffee pie.....it's got some possibilities I'm dreaming about. The level of general baking knowledge is awesome..........they have their opinions period. Some go against main stream techniques and are so right.... ahead of their time, it's very cool.

Now I'm dying to know what recipes have you all made from this book that you can recommend? Baking and cooking wise...

So I have another question. I'm looking for opinions on creating a 'chocolate mint chunk cake/torte'. I sold the idea based on a recipe I saw in a book that looked great. When I made the recipe as is, I didn't like it at all. It was a flourless chocolate cake with chunks of york peppermint melting in it. I had forgotten just how much I don't like the texture of a flourless chocolate cakes. Ones baked with-out a water bath are dryish and not creamy and the york peppermints melted completely. I played around with making non-baked creamy chocolate cakes like the fondant from Thomas Keller and chocolate marquise's. The york peppermints texture didn't work in a creamy application for me. So now I'm on to a rich anglaise based chocolate mousse with chunks of Andes candies in it for my mint chunk, I'm over york peppermint patties.

SOooo anyone have any opinions, thoughts or day dreams of what they think would be yummy along these lines? (I'm doing this for 300 so my plating options are very limited....no ice creams, nothing that can't sit out for an hour or so while plating.)

And they spelled "potato" right, so that's a plus. Not a privilege available to the people who made the "Scandanvian Almond Pie" or the "Pear Gryere Pie".

And they spelled "potato" right, so that's a plus. Not a privilege available to the people who made the "Scandanvian Almond Pie" or the "Pear Gryere Pie".

You've never been to Copegahen? or Olso? Beautiful areas of Scandanvia

Olso, that's in Nowray, right?

Olso, that's in Nowray, right?

famous for its Fords of course