Dessert, the Sweet Spot

I made a peach cobbler, which was so easy and such a hit that I may have found my new go-to dessert. Skinned and sliced peaches, tossed them with sugar,lemon juice, a little cornstarch. Into a buttered pie plate, biscuit dough made with buttermilk that was slightly soured plopped on top, sugar sprinkled over and into a 400F oven for about 35 minutes. Eaten while still warm with fromage blanc (rather than the heavy cream, whipped or not, suggested in most recipes).Prep time is probably a half hour or less.

I see an apple cobbler in the near future.....

nice!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

Yes, I'm thinking with apples since I like apples very tart I might want to add a tiny bit of sugar to the biscuit dough. And perhaps mix in some chopped stem ginger in syrup as well as a bit of ground ginger with the apples. I am not a fan of cinnamon but I think the apples might be well served by seasoning with a warm-tasting spice.

Yes, I'm thinking with apples since I like apples very tart I might want to add a tiny bit of sugar to the biscuit dough. And perhaps mix in some chopped stem ginger in syrup as well as a bit of ground ginger with the apples. I am not a fan of cinnamon but I think the apples might be well served by seasoning with a warm-tasting spice.

what about using a nice cognac based ginger liqueur

You may like nutmeg with the apples. I prefer it to cinnamon in apple pie.

You may like nutmeg with the apples. I prefer it to cinnamon in apple pie.

That sounds llike the very thing. Thanks.

Fig-blackberry and fig-raspberry jams in a cream cheese pastry crust. 1 lb fresh figs, 6 oz berries (about 1 cup), 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 cup water, cook until thick and jammy. The original recipe called for two doughs, but I use half the batch (like a double pie crust recipe) and half the jam. Roll out the dough, cover half of it with jam leaving a 1" border, then fold the other half over and crimp with a fork. Looks like a giant turnover. Bake in a 350 oven for about 40 min or until browned. Let cool and eat.

And perhaps mix in some chopped stem ginger in syrup

Where do you find the chopped stem ginger in syrup?

I couldn't find any at the local oriental stores or upscale markets here in Austin, so was forced to buy through Amazon - $8 a jar and $8 shipping!!

At least now I have a couple of jars and can take a picture to the store and ask if they can order.

Where do you find the chopped stem ginger in syrup?

At least now I have a couple of jars and can take a picture to the store and ask if they can order.

Find a supermarket that carries Raffetto products; it's an item in their line. If the store carries other items in the line, it will be easier for them to order the ginger.

If all else fails, it is often possible to substitute crystallized ginger for the stem ginger in syrup.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd make cake pops if I had time and energy. I could see someone like my sister making them for her kids' parties, but she has a husband who supports her financially and doesn't have to spend energy looking for a job, working, or worrying about money.

Meeeoooooooowwwww. . .. hisssss! :lol:

N is making me this cake for my birthday. I've been holding on to this recipe ever since it was published. She made the cake part last night (frosting tonight), and from the little bit I tried that was stuck to the pans, it's not too sweet with a light almond taste. I'm sure it will go well with the sweet, rich buttercream.