Dessert, the Sweet Spot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

That sounds like a great idea to me. I adore parsnips. If you don't tell people what's in it, do they have trouble figuring it out? Do you frost it? If so, what kind of frosting do you use?

actually i havent made this before. i decided not to frost the banana nut cake since it was moist enough - and not too sweet - so i will probably make the cream cheese frosting for the parsnip cake.

the husband is going up to his family for one bil's birthday this weekend(i can't go since, as a librarian, i tend

to work weekends). so far i have made a banana walnut cake i'll frost with some cream cheese frosting,

a set of portugese sweet bread for my mother-in-law and probably on friday try out a recipe i just found for a

grated parsnip cake - kinda like a carrot cake - and i do so love to sneak veg into anything i serve

my inlaws :lol:

Something evil in me wants to make this for my husband, who hates parsnips with a white-hot zeal.

Still working on trying out stuff from Paris Sweets, I made a rustic baked apple tart last night. Aside from a mistake right at the top of the recipe (she calls for six apples, but then tells you to cut 4 into slices and grate 3 others), it worked out very well. You lightly brown the grated apple in butter, then do the same with the apple slices, after which you throw the pan with the slices into the oven to bake until almost soft.

Then you take the crust-- which can be either puff pastry or sweet tart dough-- and top it with almond cream, then the apple slices, then the grated apple. After baking the almond cream puffs around the slices and the tops of the apple slices get golden brown.

Very nice. But I think next time I'd make a flaky sweet tart crust, which I think I prefer to both the crusts specified. Dorie's sweet tart dough uses room temperature butter, along with ground almond and some egg, to produce a cookie-like crust. It's really good but I think a simple flaky crust might go better with the apples (at least to my American apple pie taste) without requiring the kind of effort that puff pastry entails.

I'm making my grandmother's cheesecake, which is my all-time favorite cheesecake, of course. It has a sweeter cream cheese layer and a not-so-sweet sour cream layer, which I rarely (or never) see anymore in bakery or restaurant cheesecakes. The combo of the two layers and the graham cracker crust is wonderful.

• 4 weeks later...

To use up the last of the Meyer Lemons in the fridge, made a Lemon Mousse Cake. Took a couple days to make: the first to make about 3 1/2 cups of lemon curd, the second to bake the ginger shortbread crust and whip up the mousse. One more to set in the fridge overnight. Garnish with Meyer Lemon slices. It came out pretty good.

231898.jpg

epicurious photo

• 2 weeks later...

I made a chocolate tart last night, using some of the leftover crust dough from the apple tart about which I posted above. That sweet tart crust from Paris Sweets is actually Pierre Herme's basic sweet tart dough-- it's more like a cookie dough than most tart crusts, and it's good for all sorts of tarts. For the filling I used Pierre Herme's Nayla's Tart filling (from his chocolate book), which is just a really rich ganache: one pound chocolate, 2 cups heavy cream, and one stick of butter.

I think this combination of crust and ganache makes the perfect basic chocolate tart-- I much prefer it to to Pierre's version with a cocoa-based crust. The buttery-almondy crust provides a better contrast with the filling.

This weekend I baked muffins and brownies for our upcoming camping trip. Un-iced brownies freeze well and I bake them in mini muffin tins so I don't have to worry about cutting them up while camping.

I'm making Prune & Armagnac Tea Cakes today – 2 dozen of them – in preparation for the opening of the farmer's market this weekend. Tomorrow, I'm going to make many dozens of coconut cookies (also for the market). And on Thursday, I have to make two pans of baklava for a friend's wedding. Then I think I'll lay off the baking for a while. :P