Dessert, the Sweet Spot

Last night, N made what I'm calling the Black Hole of Brownies--so incredibly rich and gooey that I can only have a small bit at a time, preferably with an espresso.  Since for some reason the recipe she used didn't have any coffee powder in it, I convinced her to add some (I think she used a tablespoon) and I think it made a world of difference.  The brownies probably would have been too sweet otherwise.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I made a King Cake using the KAF recipe. I’m still a newbie when it comes to yeast dough, so I made a couple of errors that led to the dough not rising as much as it should have. So, the texture is more of an actual cake than a sweet bread. Also, because of the way my oven is, even though I tented the King Cake with foil part of the way through the baking a section of it managed to nearly burn. It tastes OK, but I’m not going to bring any into work like I’d planned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

N wanted cookies, so I dusted off an old Maida Heatter cookbook and make Colorado Cowboy cookies.  They're chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal and walnuts/pecans; I didn't have the nuts so I added double the chocolate chips.  They come out small, thin, and crispy.

Plus, I now know what to do if you're splitting a recipe and end up with egg quantities in half-egg increments. Put a bowl on a scale, crack an egg into and take account of the weight, beat the egg, and use half of that in your recipe.  Save the leftovers in the fridge and scramble up with a whole egg for breakfast the next day.

• Like 1

The average weight of a large egg is 52g. If you weigh out 26g for half an egg, everything works out fine, so no need to weigh the full egg every time. (From my baking days in Japan, i still remember that 1 cup sugar is 200g and 1 Dorie Greenspan cup of flour is 136g, but that's on the high end. Most recipes suggest about 120g for one cup flour. I think.)

Second batch; this is what I like about slice and bakes - the half you don't bake can go into the fridge and be baked a few days later, or into the freezer, where it will stay good for 2-3 months.

1890664659_Cookielog.jpeg.77b468571bb555

1388630222_WorldPeaceCookies.jpeg.791cdf

Pierre Hermé's Korovas...aka world peace cookies.

The boy and I made Butterscotch cookies on Sunday using my mother's recipe. Like the World Peace cookies that JtF made, they're slice and bake. So we baked off one loaf - 12 cookies and have two more sitting in the freezer waiting until we need a sweet snack.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying making cookie dough in advance and having it in the freezer in order to make them "on-demand."  Last Sunday, I made World Peace Cookie dough popped the logs into the freezer so we were able to enjoy fresh cookies for Shabbat. I did learn that unlike with other cookie doughs, this one needs to defrost a bit because they shatter when you slice them frozen.

Today I made a tray of Pizza Ebraica which comes from the Roman-Jewish kitchen. It's a sweet olive oil dough stuffed with nuts and dried fruit. The recipe calls for concord grape wine - I had opened a bottle of pomegranate wine over the weekend which we weren't crazy about and since it reminded me of concord grape wine I figured this was a good use. (and this is why you always need an adequate supply of nuts and dried fruit on hand)