Dessert, the Sweet Spot

Beer brownies, using Guinness.  They're nice, but I thought they would be more bitter and less sweet.  The recipe calls for brown butter and I'm thinking I didn't let it get brown enough.  You can also use cold coffee if beer isn't your thing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

Maida Heatter's Cheesecake brownies. Almost all of my baking these days is by gram so going back to using volume is an adjustment (especially when my 1/4 cup measure is missing and the recipe calls for 3/4 cup sugar, which is 150 grams).

Trying out this Dalgona Coffee Pudding recipe.  I've completed the vanilla pudding step; thanks to an accidental inclusion of more cornstarch than the recipe called for, it thickened up very well.  I've already made Dalgona coffee and know that it works, but I used generic instant coffee so it tasted like a lesser version of a Greek frappe.  I'll be using Medaglia D'Oro espresso powder this time.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:59 PM, StephanieL said:

Trying out this Dalgona Coffee Pudding recipe.  I've completed the vanilla pudding step; thanks to an accidental inclusion of more cornstarch than the recipe called for, it thickened up very well.  I've already made Dalgona coffee and know that it works, but I used generic instant coffee so it tasted like a lesser version of a Greek frappe.  I'll be using Medaglia D'Oro espresso powder this time.

Adding the Dalgona coffee worked rather well.  We have lots more pudding to eat, so next time we're going to layer it with N's homemade banana compote and some Kraken spiced rum.  Then there are meringues to make with the egg whites I saved, so pudding, meringue, and fresh berries.

I guess everyone's baking bread and not making a lot of dessert....😉

Felt confident enough to tackle Maida Heatter's American chocolate pudding.  Two types of chocolate plus cocoa, and a healthy slug of rum (which she calls "optional" 😜).

On 5/27/2020 at 11:24 PM, bloviatrix said:

Maida Heatter's Cheesecake brownies. Almost all of my baking these days is by gram so going back to using volume is an adjustment (especially when my 1/4 cup measure is missing and the recipe calls for 3/4 cup sugar, which is 150 grams).

So as many of you know, the publisher has decided to re-package Maida Heatter's books for a new generation. I was curious (and hoping) that they included weights as well as volume in the new editions but alas, they didn't. DRAT. I would have considered buying the new books if they had.

17 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

The world cares, but the Queen Mother has to remain my favorite cake. 

That was the first cake my father ever made, for my mother's birthday back in 1975.

I have an original 1st edition of her chocolate desserts book that I picked up at a secondhand store, plus the "favorite recipes" book that came out just before she died.  As Slaughter mention, those are basically exact reprints, original volume-only measurements intact.

Not no one, but...here's what happens when I want to bake first thing in the morning, before it gets too hot (okay, it's always too hot) in my kitchen to turn on the real oven. And I wanted to bake these in the real oven.

204942240_Chocolatechipcookies06-04.jpeg.e7ca3c45a31bcee05ae5eb3b9bdf78b0.jpeg

I overcrowded the cookie sheet, and a bunch of them stuck together. Then I couldn't get them off the cookie sheet easily - but could have had I lined the friggin' cookie sheet with a piece of parchment! I'm an idiot, because I still needed to do two batches, and could've easily split them evenly. Instead, the first cookie sheet had 18 cookies on it, the second had 6. Hey - it was 7 A.M.

Still tasty. Chocolate chip/pecan; Ghiradelli's recipe, which I think is basically the Nestle's Toll-House cookie recipe.

• 2 weeks later...

I rescued a batch of less-than-stellar cherries by using them instead of plums on the you-know-what cake.  To complement the cherries, I substituted almond flour for half the AP.   The result may be better then the original.

• Like 1