Pingarina

Dessert, the Sweet Spot

491701475_Rhubarbstrawberrypeachcrisp06-27.jpeg.eb9f6c19c6a3686e5cd06686ede45772.jpeg

Rhubarb, strawberries, and a lonely peach made it into yesterday's crisp. Served with a dollop of crème frâiche atop. Nice and bracingly tart.

N's birthday is tomorrow, so I spent several hours on my day off today making the Dolester Miles' Coconut-Pecan Cake.  This is not for the novice baker; the recipe assumes that you know how to toast coconut, make a crumb coating for frosting, etc.  The parts I tasted are quite nice; I did have a couple of hiccups, though:

• I hadn't realized there's a different between cream of coconut and coconut cream; the recipe calls for the former and I bought the latter.  I was wondering why the coconut flavor in the filling wasn't as strong as I'd expected.  It does mean things are less sweet, which isn't bad.
  • We had a can of sweetened condensed milk for a long time (like a couple of years at least), but since it wasn't past the expiration date I thought it'd be fine.  Well, it had turned into dulce de leche and I had no time to buy another can, but it wasn't rancid or spoiled so I used it.  However, it made the filling thicker and thus less spreadable (yes, I should have thinned it out with milk....oh well).

I am a frequent guest at HB&G. I have my fingers crossed Frank will guide her through a cookbook. Her desserts are so good.

Nowhere near as impressive as Stephanie's cake but the boy and I made Tahina Blondies. My job is prepping the mise and then he does the rest.