Dessert, the Sweet Spot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

266212439_Bananabread09-02.jpeg.84c1fb630de848fc7f0f9e9fc0b84f7d.jpeg

When you've got a couple of bananas on their last legs...banana raisin bread. Was supposed to have walnuts too (because we like it with walnuts), but the walnuts appeared also to be in the Where is It? thread.

Of course, when the freezer was opened to find sausages for the scarpariello, the walnuts jumped out.

Specially for @small h, from scratch "Jello" chocolate pudding (Valhrona cocoa + 72% bar).   Looks like hell; tastes like heave.    Thanks for this, small h.   Haven't thought of this, much less made it, in probably 50 years.     Your choice of whipped cream or creme fraiche drizzle.

Screen_Shot_2020-09-06_at_2_33.16_PM.thumb.png.1d8d3b4db1fa4c7751b511fcce177bdb.png

58 minutes ago, voyager said:

Specially for @small h, from scratch "Jello" chocolate pudding (Valhrona cocoa + 72% bar).   Looks like hell; tastes like heave.    Thanks for this, small h.   Haven't thought of this, much less made it, in probably 50 years.     Your choice of whipped cream or creme fraiche drizzle.

Look at you, classin' up the joint! Glad you enjoyed it. I can't remember the last time I had chocolate pudding - probably at the Mermaid Inn, 'cause they give it away free with every dinner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1787888366_Bananasfoster09-27.jpeg.7aa1eec678d75f8e2641481eb263aadc.jpeg

So Significant Eater spots these “baby” bananas I have on the counter. She loathes regular bananas. She most likely loathes baby bananas. She jests: “Wow. Are you making Bananas Foster with those?” Wasn’t planning to, but what the fuck. Ice cream was already on hand. Madagascar bourbon vanilla and George Howell coffee Philadelphia-style ice creams made Saturday. Sunday - Bananas Foster. 

Chocolate stout cake,using beer left over from guinness chocolate ice cream.

967420970_ScreenShot2020-10-03at11_22_53AM.thumb.png.280b0b4a3520ead76ecdbb974f8e166e.png

IMG_0392.thumb.jpg.7b1a863d836caa74e1c4a6bc1fbc1eb8.jpg

Was supposed to have either cream cheese frosting or ganache.   Husband accosted it while still warm and decreed it proper with just dusting of powdered sugar.     Deemed it superb, flavor and crumb.

A friend dropped by homemade pasta, and I reciprocated by sending back half a cake.   Husband is not amused.

Nice!

I made a strawberry & raspberry "shortcake-style" cake.  It uses a springform pan, and you basically make a simple vanilla cake batter (with both milk and cream included), sprinkle on the cut fruit that you toss with a little sugar, and bake.  It was very forgiving of the oven woes, and the (unintentional) long slow bake may have actually helped it.

Not only good, but stupid easy.    Mix dry ingredients together, mix wet ingredients together, mix the two together, bake!  

1590935917_ScreenShot2020-10-03at11_24_29AM.png.ff4e73c21bc3d729ba3963f342f4aba3.png1296738652_ScreenShot2020-10-03at11_24_56AM.png.ed574b7932cfe57388f71bb0d3405a82.png

For our small family, I cut the recipe in half and made only one 8" layer.  (Should have made more!)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd been holding onto Dorie Greenspan's Chocolate Birthday Cake recipe ever since it appeared in the Times Magazine, knowing that's what I wanted for my next milestone birthday.  Well, said milestone BD came yesterday, and N made the cake.  It's relatively easy, and is exactly what a kid would want on their birthday--just right with a big glass of milk.  The buttermilk in the cake and frosting keeps it from being too sweet.