Dessert, the Sweet Spot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

On 10/15/2020 at 9:28 AM, prasantrin said:

And a very happy milestone birthday to you! I hope you have enough leftovers for a slice of cake and glass of milk nightly, for at least a week! Milestone birthdays deserve a week of celebrations.

Anytime I have cake and milk 7/7 is a Milestone.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a South African candy bar called Peppermint Crisp which is often used to make a type of fridge tart.  The bar was never available in the US, probably due to the fact that the dye used to turn the center a brilliant Kelly green wasn't allowed here.  They can now be imported here, so I guess they changed the dye.  I love Peppermint Crisp tart (had it in SA, and in the US made by people who smuggled the bars in), so I bought 5 bars for N plus the cookies used in the tart, Tennis Biscuits (light tea biscuit with coconut).  You layer the Tennis biscuits with whipped cream that has caramel/dulce de leche and crushed candy bars folded in, then top the whole thing with plain whipped cream.  So sweet and so good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 12:08 PM, Evelyn said:

Flour Bakery's Banana Bread is my go to. Very moist and tasty.

The first time I've made a banana bread other than my go to from Nick Malgieri's How to Bake...

1798751197_BananaBread10-09.thumb.jpeg.dbfca6116a32443006ead896801516bd.jpeg

This one is from the original King Arthur Baking book. Also super moist compared to the other one - with buttermilk in addition to the other stuff. And bigger - baked in a 9" bread pan. Still trying to decide if I like it more.

1675294744_Bananabreadcut10-09.thumb.jpeg.d6c6861e38efff747047d5a5a7245d6c.jpeg

Added some walnuts and dried fruit. And baked in the countertop Cuisinart oven.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Persimmon Bread. Every year (usually in November) I make. It's kind of like a fruit cake as calls for 2/3 C whisky so nice and boozy. The recipe comes from Beard on Breads but I learned about it in a blog post David Lebovitz over a decade ago.