Dessert, the Sweet Spot

A NYT recipe that I've been holding on to for many years: Brown Butter Nectarine Cobbler/Cake.  Basically, you cook down some fruit, brown butter and put that in a pan, make up a pancake-like batter (no eggs, so not a clafouti), and add it to the butter along with the fruit and some toppings.  You can also use peaches (or a combination), and we had a bunch of peaches we got from someone near us who had extra.  I definitely want to make this again, with really ripe nectarines.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Made meringues for the first time.  Since I hadn't beaten the egg whites as stiffly as I should have, the mixture was a little runny, which was good because they were chewy in the middle and I love that.  I added almond extract at the end, and also placed dried cherries and sliced almonds on the meringues themselves before they went into the oven.

N managed to grow bananas in this climate.  I can't remember the variety, but they're short & stubby.  They also have a short shelf life, so she's making banana bread now, using the Caribbean-influenced recipe in Jubilee (lots of pecans and dates, and heavy on the nutmeg and allspice).

Here's my attempt to make babka. It needs work. I used the recipe from Mastering Spice by Lior Lev Sercarz. The dough includes a spice blend of cinnamon, ginger, ancho, and nutmeg. The one one on the left is chocolate tahini, sour cherry currant, and chocolate chip and the one on the right is chocolate tahini and halva. I cut into the former.

IMG_1789.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

On 1/29/2022 at 2:27 PM, StephanieL said:

N managed to grow bananas in this climate.  I can't remember the variety, but they're short & stubby.  They also have a short shelf life, so she's making banana bread now, using the Caribbean-influenced recipe in Jubilee (lots of pecans and dates, and heavy on the nutmeg and allspice).

If they are saba, turon is one of my favorite Filipino snacks. You can also make banana fritters with them or banana-q. Or just fried bananas. The fried bananas and banana-q are kind of made the same way (sprinkle sugar on the bananas -whole for q, slices for fried) and fry, we usually fry in butter because butter makes everything better. 

• 1 month later...

N had a hankering for brownies last night, and fortunately I had enough ingredients on hand to whip together a batch of Maida Heatter's All-American Brownies.  Couldn't be easier--you mix everything in the pot/saucepan you use to melt the chocolate and butter.