Dessert, the Sweet Spot

On 5/3/2022 at 6:52 PM, StephanieL said:

N has been storing shredded zucchini in the chest freezer for months in order to make zucchini bread, and today she made a couple of loaves of zucchini-strawberry bread.  (Didn't use up the entire freezer supply, though.)

On 5/3/2022 at 9:53 PM, Sneakeater said:

I am sorry.  I do not accept zucchini as dessert.  I just don't.

I've been making a variation of this for years.   Only chocolate haters could dislike it.

827165372_ScreenShot2022-05-10at7_53_49AM.thumb.png.252efbb2d1ace960ae90873dbc3af2ce.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

A vegetable cleverly disguised as a dessert!

Don’t knock it.   Back in the ‘80s, I won $100 from Sunset Magazine for chocolate carrot cake recipe, which was simply my favorite carrot cake recipe with spice omitted and cocoa powder added.   Apparently a novel idea at the time,   I shared iit with a friend who had a small restaurant in MA.   Gourmet Mag published it after a customer requested it in their “You Asked For It” column.   
Chocolate masks everything.   Maybe even spinach!

2 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

A vegetable cleverly disguised as a dessert!

Tell me you don't like a good carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

I don't either.   I don't like the spice and can't handle the frosting.    Chocolate works with both carrot and zucchini and probably other veg.     The chocolate version needs nothing but maybe a splat of whipped cream or creme fraiche.     (It's REALLY good with lightly whipped cream with a kiss of anise essence.)

• 2 weeks later...

Our garden is now producing too many strawberries for us to eat fresh, meaning that we have to start freezing some of them.  To make room for this year's berries in the freezer, N used some of last year's berries to make a strawberry buckle with a ginger crumb topping, based on a Serious Eats recipe.  I think she was expecting something juicy, like cobbler, rather than cake, but it's very nice and isn't too sweet--good enough to be a post-dinner dessert or a breakfast item with coffee or tea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mango pie from the NYT recipe, though I made it in a 9 x 13 pan since I don't have two pie tins.  And even though I'd read the user notes, followed the recipe exactly, and made sure to soften the cream cheese and blend thoroughly, I still ended up with small lumps of cream cheese in the final mixture.