Dessert, the Sweet Spot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion,

Thanks to Pingarina for spreading the love. I made a plum clafouti for dessert last night (using the batter recipe Omni posted). We enjoyed it enormously.

What did Ali serve last night - was it sauteed pears?

Posted Images

On 6/20/2022 at 5:42 PM, StephanieL said:

Mango pie from the NYT recipe, though I made it in a 9 x 13 pan since I don't have two pie tins.  And even though I'd read the user notes, followed the recipe exactly, and made sure to soften the cream cheese and blend thoroughly, I still ended up with small lumps of cream cheese in the final mixture.

Reminds me of when hippy parents of our son's pre-school friend invited us to dinner.    Dessert was this drop-dead delicious bowl full of lemony custard and huge cheezy globs.    "This is wonderful!" I crooned.   "What do you call it?"   The mother looked at me blankly and answered, "Cheesecake".   

• 2 weeks later...

For N's birthday, I made Maida Heatter's FBI Chocolate Layer Cake, so named because Heatter's mother supposedly made it for J. Edgar Hoover on several occasions.  It's two layers of chocolate cake with whipped cream in the middle and outside; you can add toasted almonds to the whipped cream (I did).  I actually made the strawberry variation, where you add sliced strawberries in the middle and whole strawberries on top, and serve with more strawberries macerated in a little sugar and kirsch.  (Didn't have kirsch--used a combo of maraschino liqueur and homemade strawberry brandy instead.)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

How does something as funky as Maraschino liqueur taste with chocolate?

I only used a tiny bit in the macerated strawberries, plus it was combined with the strawberry brandy.  In other words, its actual taste was mostly nonexistent.

• 2 weeks later...

Mandelbrot, for a potluck tonight--the theme is to make something from a cookbook called The Jewish House Beautiful. It was first published by the National Women's League of the United Synagogue of America in 1941 and was reprinted several times until 1975.  Book link here: #1 - The Jewish home beautiful, written by Betty D. Greenberg and ... - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library

• 2 weeks later...

Son's birthday -> requested white velvet cake with cream and strawberries.

1208578676_ScreenShot2022-07-26at9_12_37AM.thumb.png.bae9e434d0303508204ac638355df0c1.png

I'm off-duty now until twins' birthday in November.    That's always fun as they vie to request the most esoteric and cockamany cakes and frostings.

• Like 1