Marty L.

Vancouver and BC Generally

wheeeee I'm one of those coming up to Vancouver this weekend as well. Can't wait! Last time I was there... (last September) we had a great dinner at Sanafir, and then went bar hopping. My memory is a bit fuzzy after that :blush: Other than that, it's been a looooong time. I remember a lovely, lovely dinner at Le Crocodile, I think 6 yrs ago, that one sticks in my head as particularly memorable, not just because the food was fantastic but also because of the service. I hope that restaurant is still doing well.

Oh, I'd like to find some pearl sugar, you know, the stuff for gaufres...?

They have a great farmer's market there, with lots of organic fruits and veggies. I was there in 2006 and was able to procure collards, chicken, and even corn meal to make a Southern fried chicken dinner for my hosts.

I've always heard good things about Le Crocodile but haven't been. What about Parkside? Or Chambar? Those are also on my list.

Le Crocodile has a phenomenal reputation. Unfortunately, Parkside is now closed but it has become L'Altro Buca, a neighborhood Italian restaurant by the same group. I have been to the first La Buca and it is fantastic and I am sure this is just as good. But it's no Parkside.

What kind of food are you wanting to have? Are you looking for fine dining, or more casual?

What kind of food are you wanting to have? Are you looking for fine dining, or more casual?

Probably one fine dining dinner and two casual ones. I don't know if fine dining is the right descriptor - let's call it one extravagant dinner. That way it could be at a place that's not necessarily white table cloth. The type of food is probably not the driving factor - Malarkey and SeaGal - would you agree? I'm more looking for interesting, fun, places that are hopefully different than what we see here in Seattle. Great food is, of course, a requirement.

I don't know if fine dining is the right descriptor - let's call it one extravagant dinner. That way it could be at a place that's not necessarily white table cloth.

Wouldn't that be "bistronomic?" :lol:

Agreed. Type isn't important, good food is very important.

OK...that makes it easier. Market is apparently quite good. I haven't eaten there yet myself, but it is high on the list.

I would also highly recommend Kingyo , one of my favorite restaurants and something you don't have in Seattle.

Lauren you guys never reported back!

I'm so bad! Good thing I have a Flickr set for this trip or I might not remember it all.

Briefly, we met some friends of Malarkey's for a fantastic meal at Le Crocodile. It was my first time there, after hearing rave reviews for years. This place is all about the sauce and here's a sample of them:

3801854838_e45a482d49.jpg

3801858018_7c0f6025cb.jpg

3801858654_2aa20c56d7.jpg

We had ramen at Kintaro, which I liked but I'm not sure the others did

Miso

3801048009_88fb81c9af.jpg

Shoyu

3801048723_58911d87b7.jpg

Shio

3801868968_0a2177be72.jpg

We had a not-so-great dinner at Chambar. The cocktails were interesting

3801869666_928ff75be4.jpg

And one of the highlights was going to dim sum at Gingeri with Joie and her friends.

3801870422_fb64190b15.jpg

3801053447_b0c646bb50.jpg

3801052027_55e6a7c9ab.jpg

To be continued.........

On our last night we started with wonderful cocktails at West

3801873816_be1b8898af.jpg

3801874450_76a98d26cf.jpg

And then ended the weekend with a fabulous meal at Vij's (no pictures). Hopefully others can fill in any gaps that I have!

Here are a couple of random shots

View from our hotel room

3801043831_ef06d77995.jpg

Matthew's book on display at Barbara Jo's

3801043243_eb8374196e.jpg

Wine Spectator has a nice mention of the Wickaninnish Inn and Pointe Restaurant in Tofino, BC. Looks like a gorgeous place with a 3/4 view of the Pacific coastline.

Collaboration with the Tofino-Ucluelet Culinary Guild complements a longstanding focus on farm-fresh, organic Vancouver Island ingredients. The bounty of the very waters overlooked by The Pointe defines the dining experience at the Wickaninnish Inn.

Our delectable- and adventurous - dessert menu delights with the purest chocolate and hand-selected elements

http://www.wickinn.com/pointe-restaurant