The Bacon Project

I decided to make some bacon -- the hard way.

I bought Buckboard Bacon Cure from Western Legends:

IMG_0492_2.jpg

And a 4.5 lb butt from Whole Foods. Expensive, at $4 a pound, but they boned, rolled and tied it for me:

IMG_0484.jpg

Rubbed it with the cure, put it in a ziplock and popped it in the fridge for 10 days:

IMG_0485_2.jpg

Smoked it at about 220* for about 3 hours, with mesquite, to an internal temp of 140*:

Photo_091006_002.jpg

In the fridge over night, then sliced it thin:

Photo_091006_005.jpg

Fried it up nice:

Photo_091006_006.jpg

Added some scrambled eggs:

Photo_091006_008.jpg

A fine breakfast. To my surprise, it tasted just like bacon! Good balance of salt and smoke. Not too strong, not sweet. Because it was butt instead of belly, the texture of the meat was different -- a little like country ham. And there was a range of fatty to meaty in the bacon. Something for everyone.

I wish I had a scale to weigh the final product, I'd like to know how much weight it lost.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my. As I have previously mentioned, we need a drool emoticon.

Looks like Irish bacon (this is A Very Good Thing).

Irish bacon is actually from the loin rather than the shoulder. I'm not sure I've seen anything like Stone's bacon.

I recently learned how to make bacon but I use the pork belly. (got together with a bunch of like minded meat eating crazy people and went nuts!! :blink: )

Cured it in a mixture of pink salt, sugar and kosher salt for about a week and then smoked it.

We (my boyfriend and I) haven't bought bacon for months - we just make our own and are experimenting with different "flavors".

We have made:

~fresh bay leaf, garlic and cracked pepper bacon

~honey mustard

~maple and cracked pepper

~honey, powdered mustard and cracked pepper

It is amazing how much cheaper, better tasting and more fun it is to make your own!

I recently learned how to make bacon but I use the pork belly. (got together with a bunch of like minded meat eating crazy people and went nuts!! :lol: )

Cured it in a mixture of pink salt, sugar and kosher salt for about a week and then smoked it.

We (my boyfriend and I) haven't bought bacon for months - we just make our own and are experimenting with different "flavors".

We have made:

~fresh bay leaf, garlic and cracked pepper bacon

~honey mustard

~maple and cracked pepper

~honey, powdered mustard and cracked pepper

It is amazing how much cheaper, better tasting and more fun it is to make your own!

A woman who makes bacon? If anything happens to that boyfriend, ... :blink:

What made you pursue this project? Was the cure basically sugar and salt?

I don't know. Why did I also make wildblueberry jam and Suvir's tomato chutney this weekend? It's part of my therapy to deal with my compulsive overeating. I cook but don't eat. O.k., I at a bunch of the bacon, but that's allowed. I made about 40 oz of jam, and only tasted about a 1/2 tablespoon. :blink: (But I'll post on that later.)

I think both Irish bacon and Canadian bacon are made with the loin. I used the butt because that's what the directions in the cure (and the Virtual Weber forum) said. I may try a belly receipe next.

One thing I noticed from the pictures is that the bacon looks a like like gabbagoo (translation cappicola). Hmmmm.

then smoked it.

What kind of smoker do you have?
A cheap $30 smoker I got at Home Depot 3 years ago. Char-Broil is what is says on the side.
Me too. Do you have the electric version, or have you ever got an electric adapter for it? We love smoked food, but the length of time and amount of charcoal required for those long cooler-temp smokes does tend to stop us from using the smoker more often.

Fly

I love hearing about it and seeing the bacon, but my interest is purely theoretical, unfortunately. You need an "outside" for this kind of thing and the closest I've got is a tiny balcony off the bedroom, right under the upstairs neighbors' windows.