The Bacon Project

I actually don't LOVE smoked foods - like turkey or things like that - but I do love the sausage and bacon - oh, and pastrami!!!! We smoke that too.

I was just about to point out that Della also makes incredible pastrami. And that Della's savory bacon was what was used in the feijoada for our PNW pig roast.

I'm just about done with the last batch of bacon I made. In the next couple of weeks I'll be doing bacon on one rack of my Weber and pastrami on the other. And I'm so excited - my co-workers parents raises pigs and she's going to be able to provide me with belly (and other things) whenever they go to slaughter (or as my co-worker calls it"doing that thing") :blink:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then smoked it.

What kind of smoker do you have?
A cheap $30 smoker I got at Home Depot 3 years ago. Char-Broil is what is says on the side.
Me too. Do you have the electric version, or have you ever got an electric adapter for it? We love smoked food, but the length of time and amount of charcoal required for those long cooler-temp smokes does tend to stop us from using the smoker more often.

Fly

(This is Greg posting from Della's account) --

If you were smoking ribs or a roast or something the Char-Broil has hard time maintaining a high enough temperture to really be effective especially when then ambient air temperature is cool, which is only about 8 months of the year up here. I drilled some holes in the pan which helped, but did not entirely fix the problem. So we don't smoke things very often. But hey, it was only $30.

But for bacon it works fine. The charcoal consumption isn't too bad either. You just toss in a handful when you think about it, or when the temperature starts to drop. We have a wireless meat thermeter so we can monitor the tempterature inside while we are watching football. The great thing about living on the West Coast is that football starts as 10:00 am, which works perfectly for those long smoking sessions.

If you were smoking ribs or a roast or something the Char-Broil has hard time maintaining a high enough temperture to really be effective especially when then ambient air temperature is cool, which is only about 8 months of the year up here. I drilled some holes in the pan which helped, but did not entirely fix the problem. So we don't smoke things very often. But hey, it was only $30.
We found it was more of a problem with long smoking tasks like for pulled pork barbecue.
But for bacon it works fine. The charcoal consumption isn't too bad either. You just toss in a handful when you think about it, or when the temperature starts to drop. We have a wireless meat thermeter so we can monitor the tempterature inside while we are watching football. The great thing about living on the West Coast is that football starts as 10:00 am, which works perfectly for those long smoking sessions.
We have the wireless thermometer too, and I am thrilled to hear about the bacon thing. I would like to try this.

Fly

We found it was more of a problem with long smoking tasks like for pulled pork barbecue.

(Greg again) I agree, this is the difference though: For something like pulled pork, you want to get the internal temperature of the meat cut to something like 180-200 degrees. That's a real chore with a piece of crap smoker like the Char-Broil. However, with bacon or pastrami you don't want to exceed maybe 140 or 150 because the fat renders out above that temp (tip I got from Abra, the Ruhlman book is a little fuzzy on that point). The Char-Broil works fine in that temperature range.

• 1 month later...

Just got done smoking some lovely bacon yesterday with Greg, TamIam and Rick. While the bacon smoked all day we kept busy drinking beer and wine and making some homemade Gumbo.

I'll work on getting the pictures posted in a little but but all I have to say is home-made bacon rocks!

We have a posting delay becasue Della just *had* to go to Vegas :P , and she has the camera. Meanwhile, homemade bacon ROCKS!!

To get this discussion going again, I'll throw something out there. Upthread somebody asked why make homemade bacon when it is so easy to buy at the store. We were kinda dumbfounded by that because, when you get down to it, why do we make any kind of food ourselves?

Because cooking is fun.

Because it tastes about twenty million times better than store-bought.

Because we have total control over the quality and sourcing of ingredients.

Because we have so darned many cookbooks.

Because we get to change those fabulous recipes to include our favorite flavors.

Because playing with fire is fun too.

Because we were celebrating a beeea-yoo-ti-ful sunny clear fall day.

Because bacon is so dang tasty.

Because we like drinking and smoking so much. (well, not cigarettes).

Because we can!

Oh, and because our pounds and pounds of bacon turned out really, really good. More later.

What the French call bacon is what Norteamericanos call Canadian bacon, cured smoked pork loin, Spanish lomo. It's OK, but not what this thread makes me long for.

The closest thing to real bacon here in Paris is poitrine de porc fumé, literally smoked breast of pork, but it's really belly to me. So I went to the market and bought 250 grams of it, about a half a pound. Cut too thin, too salty, didn't fry up the way you'd expect--at a fairly low temperature, it just lies there for a long time and then suddenly is overdone.

(I don't go with this "crisp" nonsense. Perfect bacon is flexible and chewy. And why does everybody add the superfluous syllable "y" to the perfectly lovely and even onomatopoeic word crisp? Damn Colonel Sanders.)

I also know a couple of places here where I can get Danish Plumrose in a can. Does anyone like it?

What the French call bacon is what Norteamericanos call Canadian bacon, cured smoked pork loin, Spanish lomo. It's OK, but not what this thread makes me long for.

The closest thing to real bacon here in Paris is poitrine de porc fumé, literally smoked breast of pork, but it's really belly to me. So I went to the market and bought 250 grams of it, about a quarter of a pound. Cut too thin, too salty, didn't fry up the way you'd expect--at a fairly low temperature, it just lies there for a long time and then suddenly is overdone.

(I don't go with this "crisp" nonsense. Perfect bacon is flexible and chewy. And why does everybody add the superfluous syllable "y" to the perfectly lovely and even onomatopoeic word crisp? Damn Colonel Sanders.)

I also know a couple of places here where I can get Danish Plumrose in a can. Does anyone like it?

Isn't there a store importing streaky bacon from the U.K.? It can satisfy that craving for bacon. Did you know that most vegetarians who return to meat are taken off the regime by bacon and that very craving. If you sprinkle bacon on top of melted cheese it makes almost anything palatable (maybe not okra).

Danish Plumrose in a can. Does anyone like it?

If you sprinkle bacon on top of melted cheese it makes almost anything palatable (maybe not okra).

Danish Plumrose is delightful. And okra, like nopales, is SO MUCH TASTIER with bacon. Why would anyone smoke with charcoal instead of real wood?

name='Rebecca' date='Oct 22 2006, 02:42 PM' post='743726']
name='Maurice Naughton' post='743615' date='Oct 24 2006, 06:53 AM']

Danish Plumrose in a can. Does anyone like it?

Danish Plumrose is delightful.

Merci, ma belle. I'll give it a go.

name='Rebecca' date='Oct 22 2006, 02:42 PM' post='743726'] And okra, like nopales, is SO MUCH TASTIER with bacon.

The only edible okra is deep fried by the mama in charge of a hospital kitchen I know in Panama City, FL.

name='Rebecca' date ='Oct 22 2006, 02:42 PM' post='743726']Why would anyone smoke with charcoal instead of real wood?

Because there's no more garage left.

The only edible okra is deep fried by the mama in charge of a hospital kitchen I know in Panama City, FL.

Maurice, you know Panama City? You do get around. From what I understand it is loosing all that old 50s and 60s character that everyone used to make fun of. They are loosing it to a wall of highrises along Front Beach road, sad in a way. I will be down there next year. I wish my aunt still lived in the coves from old downtown. I do hear the food is getting better. That is a plus.

Maurice, you know Panama City? You do get around. From what I understand it is loosing all that old 50s and 60s character that everyone used to make fun of. They are loosing it to a wall of highrises along Front Beach road, sad in a way. I will be down there next year. I wish my aunt still lived in the coves from old downtown. I do hear the food is getting better. That is a plus.

Lived in a little rental house in Panama City Beach, about 75 yards from the Gulf. Long stretch of white sand known as the redneck riviera. Or Southern Alabama.

Well the topic seems to have veered off into Orkra but now that I am back from Vegas I thought I would post our pics from our bacon smoking day last Saturday. We had a great time and have already ordered a pork belly from Neimans and it is on it's way (along with a brisket so we can make pastrami).

This first pic is one of Greg's and my pieces after is has been curing for a week in the fridge. We coverd the piece of pork belly with some basic cure (salt, sugar and pink salt) and then drizzled with real maple syrup, brown sugar and tons of cracked pepper. We then double bag and place in the fridge for about a week and turn over every day or so. Check out all the liquid the belly gave off! It always amazes me :P

14126.jpg

The second pic shows Greg's and my pork belly on the left (our second one has the basic cure and then is covered in plenty of ground mustard powder and honey. The pork belly on the right are TamIam's and Ricks. They have 2 smaller pieces and one HUGE THICK LOVELY larger piece. Yes, we were jealous and that is why we just ordered from Neimans!!!

14127.jpg

Getting ready to put on the smoker........but just had to get a "sunshine shot" since it was Oct 21st and I swear it had to be 70 degrees!!!

14128.jpg

One more sunshine shot

:P

14129.jpg

First piece goes on one of the smokers. The red smoker is not "enclosed" at the bottom (ours) and the black one (TamIam's and Rick's) does. The enclosed once gets hotter and I'll have to check with the guys who were in charge of fire but I think might take less attention to keep going.....but not sure.

14130.jpg

Second piece goes on the 2nd rack at the top

14131.jpg

Rick decides to toss some chicken on the smoker before adding his smaller pieces of pork belly to get them going so we can add to the gumbo we are making to keep us busy while we smoke bacon and indulge in wine and beer :P

14132.jpg