Richmond, VA

Guest Aaron T

Not sure, but there is a 50% chance that I will be spending a significant amount of time in Richmond, Virginia for several months this fall.

Has anybody been there recently (and I mean recently in the loosest sense)?

Is there anything to eat that is not of the swine persuasion?

Yikes! :blink:

• Like 14

Had dinner at Pomegranate last night. The food was ok/good. I'd give it a 1 star on the NY Times system when that system really existed.

Began with the hudson valley foie gras on crostini with micro greens on the side and raspberry and pomegranate reduction on the plate. Ok to good item. Foie of decenet quality.

Main was a lamb shank that was ok, a little too fatty for my taste.

We skipped dessert.

Pomegranate website

If anyone has been to a decent place in Richmond please post about it as there may not be too many decent options. The neighborhood where pomegranate is had some other nice looking restaurants. I believe teh hood is called Shokoe Slip.

Hello, Aaron -

here's the Wine Spectator's list of restaurants in Richmond. Melting Pot is the only one to receive anything above the base award.

1 North Belmont Restaurant

Richmond, VA

Award of Excellence

Wine pricing: Moderate

Cuisine: French; Entrées: $29 to $45

Can Can Brasserie

Richmond, VA

Award of Excellence

Cuisine: French; Entrées: $9 to $24

Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar

Richmond, VA

Award of Excellence

Cuisine: Steak house; Entrées: $20 to $36

Manakin Grill

Richmond, VA

Award of Excellence

Cuisine: American; Entrées: $18 to $29

Morton's, The Steakhouse

Richmond, VA

Award of Excellence

Wine pricing: Expensive

Cuisine: Steak house; Entrées: $24 to $43

Sam Miller's

Richmond, VA

Award of Excellence

Wine pricing: Inexpensive

Cuisine: Seafood; Entrées: $22 to $32

The Copper Grill

Richmond, VA

Award of Excellence

Cuisine: Steak house; Entrées: $16 to $56

The Melting Pot

Richmond, VA

Best of Award of Excellence

Cuisine: Fondue; Entrées: $15 to $44

The Old Original Bookbinder's

Richmond, VA

Award of Excellence

Cuisine: American; Entrées: $18 to $42

The Tobacco Company Restaurant

Richmond, VA

Award of Excellence

Cuisine: Steak house; Entrées: $22 to $55

-----------------------------

OpenTable has a Richmond faculty, and that offers a few more choices:

Copper Grill

Lemaire at the Jefferson Hotel, which looks like a high falutin' kind of place

TJ's Bistro at the Jefferson Hotel

The Boathouse at Sunday Park in Midlothian. That's relatively nearby, I think. This is a complex of three places, including the Shrimp Box and a more formal restaurant. The restaurant serves Creekstone Farms certified meat, and seafood harvested according to the Monterey Bay Aquarium standards.

Edited by Rail Paul

One place that was fine but mediocre was the Richmond branch of Shula's steakhouse. I had their Cowboy steak which was on the bone and some fries. They claim their meat is "better than prime" which I think is an nebulous claim.

They did score points with me for not trying to upsell me on the choice of entrees, even describing the chopped steak, which I didn't ask about. My waitress also pointed out to me that if I had the side salad as an appetizer instead of with the entree it was $1 more.

The atmosphere was upscale sports bar, reminded me of the ESPN Zone more than Ruth Chris. Whereas Michael Jordan in Grand Central is a legit steakhouse, this is an upscale sports bar specializing in meat.

Service was friendly and efficient. Glasses were refilled promptly.

Caesar salad was ok. Steak was decent but not up to the standards of a real steakhouse. They claim to wet age their steals for an average of 28 days. The cowboy steak was supposed to be the most flavorful.

Don't think I'd rush back for steak, but perhaps might get a french dip sandwich in the future, as the resto is conveniently located and I do like french dip sandwiches.

I can't believe how many outposts of the Shula's empire there are....

I ate at Ruby Tuesday's for the first time in more than 5 years last night. I had the Ruby's Triple Prime Burger made with prime beef. Is it unusual to get prime beef in a restaurant of this type? I don't recall seeing that before.

The burger was actually decent, although they would only cook it medium (not medium rare), as medium is the minimum legally allowed in virginia. The bun was supposedly premium too but I thought it poor. Came with french fries that were nicely seasoned.

The decor is worse from a kitschy perspective than I had remembered. Or maybe I never paid much attention...

Ruby's Triple Prime™ Burger

Fresh 100% USDA prime ground beef with prime tenderloin, prime ribeye and prime sirloin blended and grilled to make the finest premium burger.

• 7 years later...

Pasture

http://www.pastureva.com/

A terrific rabbit dish special, pancetta wrapped loin; burley mixed with confit rabbit leg and a nice reduction.

The Chorizo meatballs were too dense and lacked flavor.

I didn't eat any, but the dessert list looked terrific. I also drank a ginger bramble cocktail. A very very take on a dark and Stormy.

The Roosevelt.

http://rooseveltrva.com/

A filling and good brunch. Tablemates raved over the ricotta pancaked. For me; biscuits n gravy with 2 sousvide eggs, a too large house-made pork sausage patty and a side of cheese grits. pretty good tucker along with a couple of bacon infused vodka bloody marys. My wife shared a fried oyster omelet. I thought it read and looked better than it actually ate.

Dutch & Company

http://dutchandcompany.tumblr.com/menus

Pig face terrine was a serviceable speciman. Two slices of a dense brown bread from a local bakery named Sub Rosa. The terrine kind of like head cheesse without the gelatin. A smear of horseradish mayo 9or something).

My advertised skirt steak was actually sliced flank steak. A mild annoyance to be sure. Cooked to order with terrific spcied and roasted vegetables and a smear of harissa. My chocolate parfait was tasty. others had the rockfish--striped bass--and loved the flavors.

We also had Sunday night at a place called The Burger Bach. I guess a kind of wannabe chain. decent burger with soggy fries and dipping sauces for them.

http://www.burgerbach.com/

I find Richmond dining to be coming along nicely. There are many places in town and especially in Carytown. There is a distinct hipster vibe (which I have to ignore), but the food is generally of good quality and is well prepared.

If you find yourself in the area you will not go hungry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Rappahannock is very good. It's part of the oyster farm empire that includes the oyster bar in Easter Market in DC. Rappahannock oysters with a lovely mignonette and trout roe...were much better than Virginia oysters usually are. Also helps they are shucked perfectly. Pork terrine with pickles and a fried duck egg was good but the house pickles were the star. Very very good. A winter beet salad was also nice and executed well. The space has a huge square bar in the center of the room (open kitchen behind it). Oysters are shucked at the bar. This is a place where you really do want to sit at the bar. The space is set up to encourage it. Staff was very warm and friendly. Cocktail list is ambitious....good ingredients but trending a little sweet in the restaurant cocktail tradition. But off-menu resulted in a Final Ward...so they can definitely work with you. Great glassware. well-chosen beers. COMP Disclosure: a plate of more oysters for dessert. they were terrific.

• 7 months later...

Ok… looks like our 1st night stay on our drive down to Florida in early Jan might well be in or around Richmond, Va. I will follow up on above lists to see if they're still there & look good, but does anyone have any recent experience or recommendations for one dinner? Given our warped sense of priorities, we'll probably settle for a place to eat then look for where to stay that's nearby. Doesn't have to be in the city (although I'd like to see Richmond), but it does have to be no further away from I-95 than Richmond. Thanks.

• 2 years later...

We've now passed thru Richmond 4 times in 2 years and have had 4 very different meals. The 1st was a better than it had to be dinner at Tin Pan, a concert venue that has a really good schedule. It served dinners that most bar/restaurants would & their burgers and salads were quite good. I'd not hesitate to eat there again if we were going to hear a band but wouldn't go otherwise. The second dinner was at Acacia, a place that is sort of a relaxed W.Village place. The room was bright & modern yet warm enough, reminding me of Dave Santos place, especially with the long and friendly bar area. The wine list was diverse and reasonably priced (lots of Va. wines worth checking out) & the food non-adventurous but very well made. A solid choice for a safe yet satisfying meal. The 3rd place, L'Opossum, is quirky beyond belief from the menu to the art work to the light fixtures and laminated tabletops. The food descriptions are pun-based and skew a little cutesy. But the kitchen's execution is very solid and, although I didn't love my pork chop, that was due to my tastebuds and no fault of theirs. I just don't like the texture of brined meat and I prefer it to be, well, porkier. Ginny's app. of escargot w/ham biscuit was inventive, tasty and a dish we'd both be happy to get repeatedly. The thinly sliced 5 spice Venison w/lotus chips, hot mustard and yuzu was one of my favorite apps this year. Ginny's entree of Halibut w/sweet corn, greens, etc was really nice. Overall, we'll be going back if we can get a reservation. It seems to sell out every night, at least on OpenTable. The 4th place, a couple of nights ago, was a great down home no frills solid red sauce Italian place called Edo's Squid. Fresh seafood (excellent fried oysters) and just as excellent home made mozzarella w/roasted red peppers and anchovies for apps. Ginny's veal piccata was solid and my spaghetti carbonara was eggy and al dente. The portions were enormous and, if there are 4 in your party I suggest that 2 could easily split this order & the other 2 could get other stuff. With just 2 of us, we couldn't order one main and be happy. A very upbeat, noisy, rustic upstairs dining room and very gentle prices. This is a winner.

• Like 1