Friday Night Lights

How dare you imply the captain would have relations with the sort of woman who puts out a sex tape. How. Dare. You.

Seriously though - this is a great great show, loosely based on what was my favorite book when I was a kid. 2nd season is def the weakest.

If anyone with satellite spills any details about the upcoming season I will have you hunted down and forced to watch a 2 1/2 men marathon.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many terrific moments in this series. One from the finale -

A very young woman, a high school student, has befriended some of the gals that work in the local strip joint. They're all backstage, and the young woman is bemoaning some of the choices she's made in her life: "I even lost my virginity in a pickup truck. Who does that?"

And all of the strippers raised their hands.

Only in Texas, y'all.

:P

Oh fiddledeedee. That's hardly a spoiler. More like an innocent little tease, revealing nothing.

Surely it's not egregious enough that I should be forced to watch 2 1/2 Men.

If punished I must be, I'd rather be waterboarded.

:P

Oh fiddledeedee. That's hardly a spoiler. More like an innocent little tease, revealing nothing.

Surely it's not egregious enough that I should be forced to watch 2 1/2 Men.

If punished I must be, I'd rather be waterboarded.

Doncha mean you'd rather be waterbedded?

I don't get it. This is the best frigging show on network TV right now, probably the best including regular cable too. Why aren't more people watching, I wonder?

Who knew LN knew anything?

I cry like five times an episode.

(Although I am getting a little annoyed at the same people making the same bad decisions. Yeah, Tim is going to be irresponsible. Tyra is going to act like a whore and then be irresponsible. Street is going to be naive. Julie is going to end up a pregnant meth-addict in a run-down trailer park. In some ways, it's getting to be like 24.)

I don't get it. This is the best frigging show on network TV right now, probably the best including regular cable too. Why aren't more people watching, I wonder?

I think it was marketed badly. I can't tell you how many people I've heard say (and this is even in Texas), "I don't watch it because I'm not that interested in high school football." Although I realize it would have been difficult, given the name, the book it was based on, and the endeavors of the main characters, I wish they hadn't emphasized that so much. Football is really just the vehicle. And frankly, even when I was in high school, long, long ago, and in Kansas, much of what went on did revolve around what the team and its players were doing.

But it's just so good. I know much of the reason why I really love it is that it feels so authentic, in large measure, I'm sure, because it's filmed in Central Texas, where it's supposed to take place. The scenes of the wheelchair rugby players are really wheelchair rugby players. The players on the opposing teams are actors that can actually play football, and they're borrowing the uniforms from other area teams.

And I particularly love the cameos. That scene in the first episode (I think it was) with Mack Brown playing a big-time supporter getting into Coach Taylor's face about how they never practice ("I never see the lights on at night") was pure gold. I'm sure every single word out of Mack Brown's mouth was something he's had to hear over and over from know-it-all U.T. supporters. These occasional cameos, with various and sundry folks, including other famous coaches, playing themselves, really add to the fun.

But I think when folks first tune in, they're surprised at the quality of the show. Not at all what they're expecting. That tells me the problem was in how the show was presented.

And, Jane and Susan, alas, not so many offers to be waterbedded anymore.

(Although there is one fellow up in Martha Vineyard that's offered. :ph43r: )

Although it may have been mentioned up-thread, I think the relationship between Eric and Tami Taylor, as written by the FNL writers and as portrayed by Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler, has a special resonance and forms the foundation of the whole series and its explorations of how we all get along.

Coach Taylor is a little too perfect in the earlier seasons. The affair really brings him down a peg, especially when the cheerleader threatens to go public. I love how the writers dealt with how Tami handled it and how their relationship was able to survive. Also, whoever plays Julie was amazing when she spent her first night in the brothel and handled her first John, and the obvious comparisons to her father and his affair. The acting is incredible.

Coach Taylor is a little too perfect in the earlier seasons. The affair really brings him down a peg, especially when the cheerleader threatens to go public. I love how the writers dealt with how Tami handled it and how their relationship was able to survive. Also, whoever plays Julie was amazing when she spent her first night in the brothel and handled her first John, and the obvious comparisons to her father and his affair. The acting is incredible.

Although of course you're right - the incredible acting is the best part - one thing I really liked about it all was the unpredictability. I love it when you can't tell where the story is going. These plot twists really kept me guessing all the way to the end.

Which, of course, I won't reveal.

(I guess you want to be waterbedded as well.)

• 1 month later...

I've now watched the first season over the course of about three weeks. Excellent stuff; the best football-related entertainment I've seen. It's a damn sight more interesting than an actual football game, that's for sure. No big surprises, but a very well-made show. The great thing about a TV drama is when it can pull you in to its characters' world, and this succeeds. Jaymes mentions upthread that the strength of the show is in its realism, and I agree: the people of Dillon act smartly or stupidly, but they come across as real people; that's not something you see too often. I'm looking forward to watching the next four seasons.

Only... episode one of season two is bad. Really, really bad. Like, they decided to take all that realism that makes the show so pleasurable and throw it overboard. I'll keep watching, or skip to season three, but... ouch.

(Also, Minka Kelly is jaw-droppingly beautiful. I just have to say it.)

It strikes me that season two kicks up the outrageous soap-opera elements by a notch or two. I don't know whether we can have spoilers in this thread, but the plot with Landry and Tyra's Outrageous Adventure struck a particularly false note for me. That said, I'll keep watching.