Clothes for fall 2006

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm on the hunt for a classic camel-colored cashmere twin set. I'll pay a reward for good leads for someting plain and not sickeningly expensive.

OK. L.A. is possibly the leather pant capital of the world. I don't recall ever seeing Shakira style pants off the rack around here, not that I've looked really hard.

Shopping in L.A.

Ligia Morris' lengthy career as a stylist, fashion and costume designer includes an impressive celebrity roster: Mary J. Blige, Courtney Love, Cher, Iggy Pop, Britney Spears, and she designed the first J. Lo line for Jennifer Lopez. Although her clients include rock 'n rollers, Morris describes her style as high fashion with an urban flair. She prides herself in custom pieces because she's involved in the entire creative process: illustrations, pattern making, and sewing (she does outsource some work but "it's not like it's done by an underpaid Mexican," she said. Morris prefers using deerskin but also designs with cowhide, goat and lambskin suede, infusing stretch wool or denim; fox, mink and sheep fur when appropriate. Morris has a celebrity following for a reason--such craftsmanship takes time and money. Pieces are usually completed in 30 days (but clients can always pay for a rush) and leather pants start at $900. Like the old adage says you get what you pay for and at this boutique it's a leather bustier like Shakira's.

The pants start at $900, YIKES!

Time for a trip to an outlet store.

You mean I should stop thinking about Citizens of Humanity straight-leg black jeans for $172? :blink:

I ended up with a pair by 7 For All Mankind. I believe they are related to Citizens of Humanity, but the cut is more relaxed. :blink: And marginally cheaper, plus a discount. Or minus a discount.

While googling for leather pants I found this funny blog post

Banterist

have not worn these leather pants for the following reasons:

I am not a member of Queen.

I do not like motorcycles.

I am not Rod Stewart.

I am not French.

I do not cruise for transvestites in an expensive sports car.

These were not cheap leather pants. They are Donna Karan leather pants. They're for men. Brave men, I would think. Perhaps tattooed, pierced men. In fact, I'll go so far as to say you either have to be very tough, very gay, or very famous to wear these pants and get away with it.

Again, they're men's pants, but they'd probably look great on the right lady. Ladies can get away with leather pants much more often than men can. It's a sad fact that men who own leather pants will have to come to terms with.

OK. L.A. is possibly the leather pant capital of the world. I don't recall ever seeing Shakira style pants off the rack around here, not that I've looked really hard.

Shopping in L.A.

Ligia Morris' lengthy career as a stylist, fashion and costume designer includes an impressive celebrity roster: Mary J. Blige, Courtney Love, Cher, Iggy Pop, Britney Spears, and she designed the first J. Lo line for Jennifer Lopez. Although her clients include rock 'n rollers, Morris describes her style as high fashion with an urban flair. She prides herself in custom pieces because she's involved in the entire creative process: illustrations, pattern making, and sewing (she does outsource some work but "it's not like it's done by an underpaid Mexican," she said. Morris prefers using deerskin but also designs with cowhide, goat and lambskin suede, infusing stretch wool or denim; fox, mink and sheep fur when appropriate. Morris has a celebrity following for a reason--such craftsmanship takes time and money. Pieces are usually completed in 30 days (but clients can always pay for a rush) and leather pants start at $900. Like the old adage says you get what you pay for and at this boutique it's a leather bustier like Shakira's.

The pants start at $900, YIKES!

Time for a trip to an outlet store.

I was just gonna say...custom. You can't get leather like that off the rack.

• 3 weeks later...

Touching on earlier discussions on jeans and cashmere, I made a brief stop at the newly opened Uniqlo today. Apparently, this is a popular chain in Japan, but it was my first exposure. They have very inexpensive jeans there and I tried on a few pairs, including some skinny jeans. Not bad. A good deal for $39.50. The real bonus, though, is that they do free alterations within the half hour. (This is what I was quoted but take it as an approximation.) A great boon to those of us who are petite and need adjustments on inseams and sleeve lengths. The free alterations apply to everything but I suspect come particularly handy with pants.

I didn't examine the cashmere, didn't try any on, but the prices seem good for everyday, single color cashmere. Nothing to get excited about though.

PS. Worth a mention is that if you happen to visit this store, grab one of the catalogs stacked up near the front door. Within are 3 coupons good for $15 off a $75 purchase. Expiring on Dec 3. Nothing to sneeze at if you are buying anyway.

• 2 weeks later...