Pad for Dining Room Table?

I bought one and never in 6 years bothered to use it. I determined my guests were careful enough that is was more trouble than it was worth (and it is a very expensive piece of wood that I do not bother to cover to this day). Think about whether you will really use it before you buy it.

I think you have to ask yourself why you want a pad. If you want the pad as a 'silencer', i.e., so silverware and plates don't go "thud" on the wood, then maybe here's an idea. I have changed tables several times and have no pad for our current table. When I want to use a fine tablecloth and want the feeling of depth under it, I simply fold a king-sized sheet so that it covers the table and put the cloth on top. No expense, no storage.

It's a heat, spilled alcohol/sterno and scratch thing. Makes a huge difference if you expect to have the table around for great grandchildren to fight over. Pads are in the back ads of most house/home magazines. If the above suggestion doesn't work out, I'll try to find alternatives this weekend. :D

Bed Bath and Beyond sells a heavy vinyl covered paddy, fuzzy thing just for this purpose. I have one for every dining table I own. It's about $30 IIRC and can be cut to size with a regular scissor. It's white and waterproof and insulates (within reason, I wouldn't put a hot pot on it, that's for sure) and it folds like any vinyl cover and stores on a shelf in the linen closet.

It's a heat, spilled alcohol/sterno and scratch thing. Makes a huge difference if you expect to have the table around for great grandchildren to fight over. Pads are in the back ads of most house/home magazines. If the above suggestion doesn't work out, I'll try to find alternatives this weekend. :D
Well, it all depends on what look you want to pass on. I have my grandmother's walnut extension table that has been babied for over a hundred years. It is pristine. But when you look at it you wonder if anyony laughed or cried or smoked or drank or got expansive and knocked over his wine glass. In other words, while I remember its being used in the family home and have positive emotions about, it's boring.

What we use is a French harvest table, also well over a hundred years old, with burns, filled holes, even the faint memory of a food grater's having been clamped onto one end. It is waxed to within an inch of its life, and its soft patina is extraordinary. I use cloths only for the most formal occasions. Daily, it's bare so we can enjoy its happy face.